Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canyonlands & Great Gallery pictographs

Canyonlands & Great Gallery pictographs

I'm in Moab this morning trying to reconnoiter a hike into Horseshoe Canyon specifically for the petroglyphs. What time of day do the panels get the best light (it's cloudless right now, full shade might be preferable)?

I've got a 4x5 with 90mm/135mm/210mm (as well as a 645 with a 35mm w/a lens). Any thoughts on which among these will be most useful/useless?

Re: Canyonlands & Great Gallery pictographs

I cannot speak for the time of day but I would assume that you would want to photograph in either full sun or shade. The problem with this assignment is getting enough contrast to render the pictographs. I did a workshop John Sexton in Canyon DeChelly and he recommended using Tech Pan film and then developing using a normal developer. I don't remember all the details but you will need to puch up the contrast considerably to get these to print. I guess that there are some substitutions available as a Tech Pan replacement. I think Freestyle has some. Good luck it is a magical area you are going into.
    Art

Though I have shot some of those Barrier Canyon Style sights, I'm not the right guide. FWIW, For future reference, if one is scanning film I suggest shooting color negative film. On some of those petroglyphs, I have found saturating the reds before conversion profoundly aids in maximizing separation (or some other color tweak very difficult to ascertain in the field).
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Ivan, I just returned from the area your in about three weeks ago.

Before I departed on the trip I bought the book "Photographing the Southwest, Utah by Laurent Martres " I specifically purchased that book because he spent a great deal of time informing the reader on some of the best times for light per the locations. As I only had a short period of time to spend there I wanted to maximize that time.

So telling you that, I noticed that many of the National Park visitors centers had that book on the shelf. And while I do not have it with me right now I think I remember details in it about the "Great Gallery". So if you have time you could simply swing by one the visitors centers and read that section. The book is very informative.

Here is another good source, which you can download over the web:

http://shop.photographamerica.com/product-p/035-pdf.htm

Geos

In this thread, you'll find a posting I made back in '07 with an example shot:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=great+gallery

That is a nice image George, great shadows. Here is one of mine that in retrospect I am not happy with the cropping (to tight on the left) and will have to revisit the negative. It is a color negative conversion with bumped reds as noted above.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Nichols View Post
    I cannot speak for the time of day but I would assume that you would want to photograph in either full sun or shade. The problem with this assignment is getting enough contrast to render the pictographs. I did a workshop John Sexton in Canyon DeChelly and he recommended using Tech Pan film and then developing using a normal developer. I don't remember all the details but you will need to puch up the contrast considerably to get these to print. I guess that there are some substitutions available as a Tech Pan replacement. I think Freestyle has some. Good luck it is a magical area you are going into.
    Art
    Funny, I did that same workshop with John and I remember his talk about using Tech Pan for petroglyphs because otherwise you wouldn't get enough contrast. I didn't have any Tech Pan with me so I used TMax 100 and developed at N+1. They came out great, printed beautifully. They looked as good from a technical standpoint as John's.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

A book that I found very useful was Guide to Rock Art of the Utah Region, by Dennis Slifer. You should be able to purchase it at a bookstore in Moab.

If you are going to be photographing pictographs I second Kirk's recommendation to use color negative film as there is very little contrast between the color of the figures and the sandstone on which they are painted. You can enhance the contrast a lot by scanning and using color controls in Photoshop in the B&W conversion. I spent several weeks in the Moab area over a period of four years working primarily with B&W film in 5X7 and 12X20. If I had it to do over again I would use only color negative film.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

The panel is in shade from the mid-afternoon and on. I've been there about this time of year and I think about 3PM and later is when you want. Remember it's a several mile hike back out and several hundred feet back up to the top of the canyon. I'm not a fast hiker, but I think you should leave your self a good hour to get back to the parking lot.