Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What precautions to take shooting LF in the desert? (Morocco)

Re: What precautions to take shooting LF in the desert? (Morocco)

But I am not prepared for this:
    'Eleven dead' in clashes in Western Sahara camp"
    which is near where I plan to go.
    In a month, a lot can happen...

Right, 7am tomorrow the plane will take me away, along with a 4x5 wista and 5x7 sinar norma. The moon is getting bigger, as my excitement!
    Packed a 10" projection petzval, an early dagor 240mm, and a perigraphe 90mm and some of meniscii (150-250-300mm).
    No shutter - shutters are for sissies.
    No coated lens - coated lenses are for ...
    gps loaded with shipwreck coordinates, which are also marked on the road map.

I think the shipwreck series will go very well and be complimentary to the portrait series. It follows my theme on youth, beauty, aging, decays, and death in solitude. More or less about life.
    Last edited by Stephane; 17-Dec-2010 at 08:11. Reason: spelling - maybe some are left out...

Good luck with the adventure!
    It will nice to get away from the snow too.

Dont you love skying and ice skating?
    No risk for the airport in Oslo to be closed because of the snow. And not risk of snow in Agadir! And no one strikes in Norway!
    7am is a set time, and tomorrow night will be the first pictures!

How are you getting south from Agadir?
    Car hire, agreed price taxi or Bus?

Care rental, one that has 2 front seats and a "bedroom" at the back. Remember, I'll be mostly shooting at night...

Just back from Berber country! Happy new year all!
    Hunting for shipwrecks was more tricky than I thought. I drove down south to El Outia (after paying a fine for not stopping at a stop sign in Tan Tan). There was supposed to be 3 wrecks down some cliffs. Turns out they were cut up and brought up the cliff for metal recycling. I did not try further south (Tarfaya) where 4 wrecks were supposed to be lying on the beach (thought they would be gone too). Howzat for permamency?
    So drove to a small place 10km north of Sidi Ifni. Place is called Legzira, and arrived there on the full moon.
    Legzira is a fantastic place, with arches, cliffs, rocks, community of fishermen (very poor people), some of which live in caves in the cliffs. Legzira is built on the beach, and the tide comes up to the houses. Fish for lunch everyday! Grilled, tajine... Legzira have no electricity (except generators from sunset to 10pm), so no need for a changing tent! I had a room with the best view over the beach.
    People were all impressed with the sinar (left 4x5 home). This year was landscape, next year will be portraits from the community, and documenting the life of fishermen there (the ones living on the cliffs). I stayed there 11 days, and got to be part of the community.
    It would be nice to have a workshop there with other LF people. You just carry your gear 5-10mns to wherever you want. There's a surviving shipwreck 15km away and is right at the end of the road. There's a lot to take there, and one can just do whatever they want. Morocco is very cheap, I had a room with 5 beds and a terrasse for 250 dirhams (30 US$) with breakfast and dinner included. It can be cheaper if we take a house or two.
    I'll start processing today. Will see what comes out, especially the 1/1000th shutter speed done with the wrist

Legzira seems to escaped mass tourism as yet. Beaches look a lot cleaner than further north. No paragliders to spoil the view?
    Car hire cost?

Yes, tourist often come for the walk on the beach in a fantastic scenery. They usually stay in Sidi Ifni or Merleft (towns where 70s rock stars like jimmy Page still come and visit).
    They are building bungaloes on top of the cliff, so more people will come. But I think the soil in unstable and they have problems already.
    Car hire was expensive, 40 euros a day. I did not get the cheaper ones because I thought I would sleep inside. Cheaper option at 15-20 euros a day. Next time, I'll take a Grand taxi from the airport to Legzira (2h drive).
    I have met great people there, ate excellent food, and smoked a lot
    Will be back next December.

We ( + "wifey") have had a shock as there are no direct winter flights to Mallorca from Copenhagen this year ( with a cheap hire car, there are thousands of things to do outside). Perhaps a return to Morocco is due? - there is just a single direct flight a week to Agadir. AirBerlin and "Norwegian" have really let us down because of their cost cutting.
    The fish is wonderful- sole is a nice break from plaice and cod - but tajines can get monotonous.