Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Availability of 5x7 film

Re: Availability of 5x7 film

I have only recently (well, this year) tried working with the Fomapan 100 in 5x7 size, and I must admit, it's been pretty sweet stuff to use. It has a distinct look to it that I find appealing. It's quite distinct from - for example - FP4+. Yes, it's got really poor reciprocity characteristics, but I am rarely needing exposures more than a couple of seconds anyway.

Fomapan 100 rated at 50 ASA, developed with Thornton 2-Bath @ 4.5 + 4.5 min.

Note that shops like Film Photography Project and CatLabs are repackaging Fomapan under their house brand names, and FPP may be packaging other brands as well. Does Lucky still exist?

Shanghai GP3 b&w film is available in 5x7 size. I haven't used it myself but it seems to have a fair reputation and is cheap in price. https://www.etonephoto.com/en-au/pro...-2021-freshest

I'm in Australia, using Shanghai GP3 100 and Fomapan 100 and 400 in 5x7. Of the two I like Fomapan 100 and 400 better, but the Shanghai GP3 is similar in image quality. Ilford is readily available from CR Kennedy but the cost is almost double that of the others: I have no doubt that it is a better film and worth the money but am learning on the cheaper stuff first.

Jeesh....now I'm starting to feel guilty and elitist by admitting that I'm using TMY!

But truth be told, I'm working through what might well be my final batch - as the pricing is now beyond the pale. And in the meantime...I find myself being extremely restrained and cautious in how I use these final sheets - often shooting onesies in situations/setups for which I'd typically make two (or even three) exposures. Not good!

So...I'll very likely go back to using FP4, which, thinking of my long love affair with this film souped in PMK awhile back - and that I've now returned to PMK after a bit of a hiatus...I think will work out just fine!

My challenge will be digging into those shadows...especially seeing as how I'm usually working well into the reciprocity curve - which is why I'd gone to TMY in the first place. (hmmm...maybe adding a wee pinch of Amidol would be just the ticket?)

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Does Lucky still exist?
    not sure, I was never lucky enough (no pun intended!) to buy this affordable mystery-film.. and im not sure the brand other than it's country of origin. maybe it was Shanghai film I forgot about that one ...

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Jeesh....now I'm starting to feel guilty and elitist by admitting that I'm using TMY!

But truth be told, I'm working through what might well be my final batch - as the pricing is now beyond the pale. And in the meantime...I find myself being extremely restrained and cautious in how I use these final sheets - often shooting onesies in situations/setups for which I'd typically make two (or even three) exposures. Not good!

So...I'll very likely go back to using FP4, which, thinking of my long love affair with this film souped in PMK awhile back - and that I've now returned to PMK after a bit of a hiatus...I think will work out just fine!

My challenge will be digging into those shadows...especially seeing as how I'm usually working well into the reciprocity curve - which is why I'd gone to TMY in the first place. (hmmm...maybe adding a wee pinch of Amidol would be just the ticket?)
    I've found the combination of FP4 and PMK to be spectacular. I stopped buying TMY (and TMX) two years ago. It was simply too expensive and the benefits were not sufficient to justify the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I've found the combination of FP4 and PMK to be spectacular. I stopped buying TMY (and TMX) two years ago. It was simply too expensive and the benefits were not sufficient to justify the cost.
    I always added a pinch of Amidol to my PMK, which makes it PMK+. About 1/3 to 1/2 stop shadow speed increase, not much, but often appreciated. I use a flat toothpick to measure out a "pinch". It does turn the PMK into all kinds of rainbow colors. Oh Wow Man. Pour it in ASAP

I too like 5x7 Foma which I order in big enough quantities to justify shipping from Germany. Winter months are the times to buy for me. Also stocked up on 5x7 Shanghai when it was cheaper
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

5x7 PlusX 2402 Aero D23 5x7 Norma 500mm Tele Xenar by Nokton48, on Flickr

Kodak Aerographic Five Inch Plus-X cut seven inches, to fit a 5x7 Lisco Holder. 5x7 Sinar Norma with my newly CLA'ed Schneider 500mm Tele Xenar at F22. Hasselblad 40mm Distagon Yellow Filter jammed inside the lenshood, it fits! D23 1:1 8x10 Unidrum on Uniroller. 5x7 Contact Print on Arista #2 RC Dektol 1:2 The Tele-Xenar is quite sharp up front as you can see. I'm liking this film for 5x7, but I can also cut it to 4x5 or even 9x12cm. Like the tonality you get with the Aerial emulsion. Tim Kelly Inspired Broncolor Balloon 90 degrees left, lighting the entire set. Main light Broncolor C171 Monolight Pulsoflex Softbox, one stop brighter than the fill, 45 left to the set. Just out of camera shot 45 right, is a foamcore freestanding panel for passive fill. Finally, the creme on the sundae, is Broncolor C70 Monolight with Snoot and Handmade Grid from an olde Broncolor Honeycomb. Selecting lighting a small portion of the background. Just because

5 inch 2402 PlusX Aerographic 5x7 Norma 500mm TeleXenar HC110 H by Nokton48, on Flickr

Under 50 cents a sheet. I shoot it just like Olde Plus-X. Processed in Unicolor Unidrum on Uniroller.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Good work, nice results there.
    I think the Foma 200 will be interesting to try as my 'slower' film. It's not that expensive in the UK, just paid about £75 for 50 sheets.
    I was hoping for a different 400-speed option, but I think I'll stick with HP5+ now, I'll probably get a box of 25 soon.
    I would like to have tried TMY-2 ( after reading a lot about Drew's enthusiasm for it ) but I can't see a price for 5x7 in the UK easily, and even a 50-sheet box of 4x5" TMY is now listed at £327.50
    I've seen the usage of X-ray film & suchlike, but these look too quirky for me, only blue or green-sensitive and not so useful for outdoors work.

I've used PMK for years, but have been getting very interested in John W's WD2etc formulae, particularly the last one, WD2H , so I've been pulling together the components to mix up a batch of this. Sound like it works well with Foma 200 as well as the Ilford stuff.

Les

I got some Adox 100 (5x7) in my refridge, but haven't really used it yet. It suppose to be quite good.
    Les

On occasion I noticed there is real life outside the GG/viewfinder.