Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Availability of 5x7 film

Availability of 5x7 film

Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing a 5x7 camera. A couple of questions for those of you who use this format: can you get film easily (colour and black and white), and what do you think the prospects are for film availability over the next few years? In other words, is demand for the format reasonably healthy, or disintigrating ?

Thanks.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Re: Availability of 5x7 film

I was looking at this the other day. I think for black and white there is plenty available.
    Fuji make colour 5x7 for most of their films but it is not available in some markets due to there not being enough demand for importers to order it by the pallet. That means in the UK it is difficult but where you live may be different. Don't know about kodak colour.

Badger has Provia in color, and several B/W.

B+H has Porta 160 NC in color and several B/W.

Dave Karp

Freestyle has lots of 5x7 in B&W. No idea about color. I have been using Arista.Edu Ultra 200 in 5x7 and it is a really nice film. It is actually Fomapan 200.

What do you think is going to happen down the road? Do you think that it is necessary to start loading up on the film in a freezer?

I'm asking because demand for large format film is weak to begin with, and I suspect that between 4x5, 8x10 and 5x7, the latter is a distant third in demand.

I'm trying to get a sense of whether 5x7 is going the way of the Great Auk, in which case buying a 5x7 camera might also mean stockpiling film.

One other question - are the labs that will process 4x5 happy to process 5x7, especially colour 5x7, as well?

Thanks.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

I only shoot B/W in 5x7 but my color lab also does 5x7.

I think b/w will be around for many years in 5x7. With color I have no idea.

I shoot primarily 5x7 b&w film, and I try to buy it in Canada whenever I can. BigCameraWorkshops always seems to have Ilford films,otherwise I tend to order it from Freestyle. I see no issues with 5x7 (or most other LF films) for the future. I tend to buy a few boxes at a time but I see no reason to stockpile it. In fact its now easier for me to get 5x7 film than it was a few years ago when I started shooting it. Stop worrying and get that 5x7 camera!

SIDE STEP... but his may interest the OP: I know some have cut and shot 5" B&W aerial film in cut film holders (Jim Galli for one) but has anyone shot the color neg aerial film in 5x7 or 5x12 holders?

go get the camera and start shooting.

no worries.

we all part of it...

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    What do you think is going to happen down the road? Do you think that it is necessary to start loading up on the film in a freezer?

I'm asking because demand for large format film is weak to begin with, and I suspect that between 4x5, 8x10 and 5x7, the latter is a distant third in demand.

I'm trying to get a sense of whether 5x7 is going the way of the Great Auk, in which case buying a 5x7 camera might also mean stockpiling film.

One other question - are the labs that will process 4x5 happy to process 5x7, especially colour 5x7, as well?

Thanks.
    You can cut 8x10 film to 5x7. Obviously a little waste but if the film you want is only available in 8x10 you can still do it. There have been threads here about this before.