Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ross Orthographic from 1859

Ross Orthographic from 1859

I do, I admit, sometimes contact sellers on e**y to help them on their way as well as finding out what actually is. I am sure many of us do. I am pretty sure that there is a Ross Orthographic (f14, 2nd petzval design, landscape lens) in Canada at the moment - it seems to meet all the requirements - and I have told the seller this. But I have no reference photo available. Could someone with more photo reference material, or their own example, have a look?
    I have my own guidelines for "ask question" interventions- do others have one too?

Re: Ross Orthographic from 1859

My guidelines are to ask questions to education myself. I have seen, as recently as this week, someone "inform" a seller of what they have, only to see it removed and listed later with a much higher reserve.

Some of you may have noticed the Pinkham and Smith that dissappeared, even though the seller's ad said; "we'll never end a listing early." Well someone must have contacted them, because poof, it was gone. I registered my displeasure and they responded, "how much would you have bid?" Sheeze, they probably got a high offline offer and then were getting seller's remorse thinking they could have gotten more. I'm sorry, but I'm not into this bidding hobbie to try to help sellers get more for something I'm bidding on.

The seller should know what they're selling, there is tons of info out on the web, Google is their friend
    if they're too lazy to research the item then it's their loss and the Buyers gain.
    If they honestly don't know what the item is and the auction is priced low then the market will adjust accordingly
    for them them without buyer intervention, I've seen it often enough on the Bay.

["My guidelines are to ask questions to education myself"

Yes - this is one of the reasons - and certainly was true in this case of the Ross objective which looks fascinating. So this is what it looks like!

"- there is tons of info out on the web, Google is their friend"

This is not always true. Take this Ross objective as an example again. The seller was able to put a reasonable correct date on it. But the engraving says absolutely nothing as to what it is. Even with a clue orthographic he would have been unable to find much - and certainly no photographs of the insides.

"only to see it removed and listed later with a much higher reserve."

I have never seen this happen. But what I have seen is that a very badly described items often receive an early bid which excludes the seller from changing the listing title! And buyers who rush in with a quick "take it of your hands now" proposal. Sellers are very loathe to change their listing. I once suggested that a seller change his title "Rofs telescope" (very early engraving) to Ross telescope so bidders could find it. He replied that people in the know would find it. They didn't and he had to relist.
    Yes, they do ask about value - its only human. What I usually say is that interesting and rare objectives often have little value and their only guide should be completed listings. Most lenses fall into a category between Good Users and Collectable Items were auction prices are totally unpredictable.

Here is an article on my CC Harrison Orthsocope Lens

http://antiquecameras.net/1857ccharrisonlens.html

there is also drawing of the Voigtlander version in the article.

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

i am with garrett on this one. i see sellers remove listing regularly to change the price (always higher) and also to sell it around e bays policy directly to a seller (speculation but i would say for sure this is what is going on.).

IMO let the seller do his own home work. if for some reason he can not find something then the market will dictate the price....often higher than he would get with a BIN.

it is hard to get a "deal" on ebay....do not make it harder.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

joseph

I would hate to see somebody directing a whole forum to a little gem I managed to mine all by myself...

Around here, there's nothing but rubbish in the dumpsters...

Yes, I found the really excellent C.C. Harrison Orthographic site - interesting that patent data was from 1858 - but I don't think it was too helpful in identifying this Ross/Dallmeyer version of the orthographic with a tiny rear lens cell. A seller would have to had the key word orthographic to find it. Vade Mecum is not much help either, unless you go down and look at the typical lens diagrams which show the diminuative rear cell.

I still don't get the idea of helping a seller, even by giving them the correct spelling so "others can find it". Why did "he have to relist" if you were bidding? Couldn't you discover your item, bid the minimum, and then bring it to the forum to let us learn?

But you sound like you aren't even bidding, just using OhBoy like a museum with a lot of untrained curators. This isn't what it is. It's a market. Would you go to a yard sale or an antique store and point out all the mislabeled items and the ones that were priced too low? And then leave to go to the next store? What's the purpose of helping sellers while hurting buyers?

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, I've just been burned MANY times on the auction sites, when I see a great lens I want to bid on, only to see it disappear before the end. This happens extremely often with rare and desirable items that the general public doesn't know much about. I'd rather buy the lens cheap, then bring it out of that sellers environment (who doesn't know what it is), and then discuss with others who are interested in it for more reasons than making lots of money. My best lenses I could not have afforded if the seller got all stary eyed and insisted on an exorbitant price. Instead some rich collector would have read the updated ad, and paid a ridiculous price.

Anyway, this is an interesting lens. Let's see how much it goes for now. Before, I would guess about $150. Now, I bet it hits $450. Good job, maybe we'll all get dividend checks from the seller!

maybe i could get some help wth my bay items? mine always gets less than others even though i described it correctly...no buyers helped me on ohbaby....not even by buying for BIG money.....
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery