Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LF lenses are expensive.

hacker extraordinaire

LF lenses are expensive.

Any hints for finding cheap LF lenses?

When I got into LF I somehow I figured they would be cheap, but they aren't. I'm used to getting really nice Japanese 35mm lenses for like $50. I suppose it's because LF was never as popular as 35mm was in past decades and it hasn't been replaced by digital at all really.

Luckily I have a 135mm enlarger lens that I really really like and I got a free Tominon 127 off a process camera, but I've been looking for a wide-angle and they all seem to be several hundred dollars. I have a speed graphic so I can use barrel lenses but I haven't even seen any of them.

I have very low standards and don't care about mold, scratches, uncoated lenses, or whatever. The way I see it, I read in my Ansel adams book that he used a 3-element convertible lens, and that's probably not a lens that would be highly regarded, and if it was good enough for him, it's good enough for me. So I figured I could find some cheap lenses but the thing is there doesn't seem to be a bargain-bin market for LF at all. I can use barrel lenses too because I have a working speed graphic, but I can't even find any barrel lenses on eBay.

What's a good wide-angle for 4x5? 90mm?

Re: LF lenses are expensive.

Well, what can I say - good lenses still go for good money. If you don't need one of those you can probably get by on something a little less fancy, say a Wollensak 135mm, which is the lens in my Busch Pressman. It works just fine, and I haven't yet reached the limit of its capabilities. You can probably find one of those on the Dreaded for about $50. I am using a Wollensak 101mm as my wide angle lens; although its image circle doesn't quite cover 4x5, I like the distortion effects in the corners.

There are a lot of lenses out there, and it's a buyer's market, so look around.

I see 90mm Schneider Angulons(in shutter) from time for $90-$100--that's pretty cheap. There are tons of cheap weird-ass lenses out there, but you probably aren't experienced enough to find them. Put a WTB ad here in the forum asking for cheap lenses and see what turns up.

Damaged lenses should be pretty cheap if the seller is honest about stating the damage. Most people try and avoid them. In fact most people probably don't even try and sell them figuring nobody will buy or the price is too low to bother with the selling effort. Look for that 90 Angulon or maybe even a dented up 90 Super Angulon.

Just curious but if you have such low standards why use large format? Sheet film isn't cheap either.

hacker extraordinaire

Just curious but if you have such low standards why use large format? Sheet film isn't cheap either.
    Good question, I don't know. I don't know why I take pictures at all actually, other than I like it. But it's not that I have low standards of image quality, I just think you can use scratched, uncoated, or otherwise undesirable lenses and get great image quality out of them. Or lenses that nobody else wants on account of their being barrel, etc lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Any hints for finding cheap LF lenses?

When I got into LF I somehow I figured they would be cheap, but they aren't. I'm used to getting really nice Japanese 35mm lenses for like $50. I suppose it's because LF was never as popular as 35mm was in past decades and it hasn't been replaced by digital at all really.

Luckily I have a 135mm enlarger lens that I really really like and I got a free Tominon 127 off a process camera, but I've been looking for a wide-angle and they all seem to be several hundred dollars. I have a speed graphic so I can use barrel lenses but I haven't even seen any of them.

I have very low standards and don't care about mold, scratches, uncoated lenses, or whatever. The way I see it, I read in my Ansel adams book that he used a 3-element convertible lens, and that's probably not a lens that would be highly regarded, and if it was good enough for him, it's good enough for me. So I figured I could find some cheap lenses but the thing is there doesn't seem to be a bargain-bin market for LF at all. I can use barrel lenses too because I have a working speed graphic, but I can't even find any barrel lenses on eBay.

What's a good wide-angle for 4x5? 90mm?
    Just watch the for sale section here. There have been a lot of great deals for lenses lately, but the bottom line is that good glass still costs. This is a buyers market these days.

Don

Nothing today is "cheap" when it comes to the average person. I think you're looking at the "golden age" between the 1950's through the 1970's... a mere 20 years of wealth distributed "somewhat fairly" amongst the populous who actually do the labor to make the things we want. That time is past.

Look out for process lenses. Escophot & Repromaster. Cheap Petzvals for the "different" look.
    Pete.

Yes, LF lenses can be pricey. That said, there are some extremely good deals around... just search. All else SUCKS... BIG TIME!! Life SUCKS... BIG TIME!!! So enjoy what you can...

I disagree with the premise that all used LF lenses are expensive. They're dirt cheap right now, without a doubt the cheapest they've ever been (when currency inflation is factored in, anyhow).

Heck, even exquisitely well built-and-cared-for apochromats are often selling for just a fraction of what new ones cost.

If you're expecting free junk-drawer stuff, you might find even that, if you're patient.