Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epson 2450 photo scaner

Epson 2450 photo scaner

Here are some comparison samples between the Epson 2450 and the Minolta DImage Multi Pro, costing 7 times more.

The Minolta is obviously a lot better, but not 7x better.

Epson 2450 photo scaner

Hi all, I have read with interest all your accounts of the Epson 2450 scanner, and I am now interested in getting one, but have not been able to find a retailer in the UK that has one yet. Does anyone know where I can get one of these scanners in the UK now? please email directly if anyone knows. Thanks Mike.

Epson 2450 photo scaner

Hi David! I've been playing with my new 2450 for two weeks and I'm very pleased with it, exept for one thing: it struggles in vain to recognize my 4"x5"-negs (both color 'n b/v). it can only recognize pos.4"x5", so I have to scan them like that = problems!!!! I'll contact support for advice and hope that they can solve my problem!

Epson 2450 photo scaner

I am also interested in the Epson 2450 photo scanner. I read in this forum that this scanner does not supprt set focus position function. I had a phone call with Epson in France about this problem. Epson said : we don't supply ourselves a driver for Linux. The focus adjustment is made when choosing "transparencies"(that means that you are supposed to put transparencies in the adapter and not on the glass top )instead of the default position = on the glass top. I think it would be interesting to scan a transparency on the glass top with the default position in order to check if Epson france is right. Another solution is to use the Qubyx's solution that means to replace the Epson glass with a newton's ring free one ? Is it possible on the Epson scanner ?

Epson 2450 photo scaner

I was contemplating replacing my trusty 1640su scanner with one of the new 2450's but having tested one for the past 6 hours I'll be sticking to what I have. The 2450 is a fine scanner with some good features but actually slower than my 1640su running USB. Interestingly enough I tested the 2450 with both USB and firewire and the speed was identical - bizarre! I do like the extended image size for scanning panoramic transparencies - if only they supplied a 120 holder which ran the length of the light source (ala 35mm holder). With the speed issue, batch scanning is agonising but handy at times and I'll admit that the 2400 dpi scans off 35mm Velvia were quite good. It's easy to be overly fussy about any scanner, but remember that this one is US$399 and scans large format transparencies at 2400 dpi - awesome really, but not for me... now anyway. http://www.chrisgroenhout.com

Epson 2450 photo scaner

Look at Norman Koren's site and one of his contributor's answer involving focus-very interestng. Seems the reader shimmed his filmholder at different heights and put the film on the glass. Look at the different results. I am enjoying this scanner for my 120 film- 2.25 sq, 2.25 x 3.25, and 6x9. I have 900 Athlon and 650 megs of ram, it does fine, not too slow.

Look at these links: http://www.normankoren.com/Tutorials/Epson_flatbeds.html

http://apogeephoto.com/feb2002/epson2450.shtml

http://www.virtualtraveller.org/epson2450.htm

These and the reviews at CNET convinced me to get this scanner, and I'm glad I did. I still need to do the focus test to see how my scanner measures up. The contibutor at Norman's site finds that 3/16 is his scanner's ideal height for film above the glass for sharp scans. Interesting reading.

Epson 2450 photo scaner

Epson's 2450 uses USB 2.0 which is as fast if not faster that Firewire so it's not strange if you have USB 2.0 on your computer as well. Ive used the Epson 2450 on 35MM slides and have had great luck with it. t's great up until 11X14, so I'm looking at a Canon FS4000 so I can get up to the A3 size. I can't even imagine how it would be for 4X5.