Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Format Techniques Book

Unhappy Large Format Techniques Book

I deal with college and university photography programs. A number of them have contacted me recently because they are having a hard time finding books to use for their large format courses.

I did a little bit of digging myself, and it does seem that the old "stand-by"s are out of print. Please tell me that I'm wrong! I want to be able to help the schools continue to be able to teach view camera, but without books and or educational materials, this will be very difficult....

Are any of you aware of any good books on Large Format photography that would be appropriate and are still in print?

Re: Large Format Techniques Book

Steve Simmons' book "Using the View Camera" is the most accessible of the bunch and still in print in paperback.

I'd recommend AA's Basic Photography triad - I own "the Negative" and re-read it often.

Octogenarian

The Basic Techniques of Photography, The Ansel Adams Guide, Book 1 and Book 2 (revised edition).

By John P. Schaeffer (former dean of the University of Arizona).

These books are compilation of Ansel Adams three books, written to be used as college level text books.

Excellent learning tools for all formats, especially large format.

The Zone VI catalog always devoted two pages to how to use a view camera. An excellent guide!

If I hadn't thrown all mine away in a move, I'd send one to you. Maybe someone here still has one.

Zone VI had a separate guide on how to use a view camera, it was several pages long, but it was lacking some of the good info in the catalog. I still have one, and I'll xerox it for you if you wish.

I devote a chapter of my book "People and Portraits" to technical stuff, including using the view camera. It's meant for the lay reader, but I'll send you a xerox of that chapter if you wish.

Also, I wrote an article about portrait photography for the Fine Art Photo Supply newsletter called "Who to photograph and using the view camera." Ditto on the xerox offer for that one.

Other than that, I always recommend photographers start with the camera level and go from there!

William

The Jim Stone book is the best written, not to knock the other guys just because their copy reads like wood.

http://www.amazon.com/Users-Guide-Vi.../dp/0130981168

Dave Karp

Agreed: The Stone book and The Simmons books are both good. Each has something to recommend it. I think if pressed, I would pick the Stone book.

Another alternative: www.largeformatphotography.info. It is free, and full of really good information. Perhaps some of those instructors would like to update or add to the materials there.

Most basic and easiest to understand is Simmons Using The View Camera but it goes against the solemn law that art texts must not cost less than $300 a copy.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Personally, I like mine: "Finely Focused: Mechanics and Creativity in Large Format Photography"
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

I teach large format photography at a college. We lend each student a Calumet camera with lens, tripod, etc.
    I do not require, or need a book to teach the course preferring to have students use that money for film and paper. I write all of my own information for use by the students, which gives them all of the necessary information without a lot of fill in fluff. Books are suggested for those whio wish to begin their own liberary.