Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: open source camera

3d Visual Effects artist

Re: open source camera

I think it's cool. If nothing good comes of it, then so what. But chances are, something good will come from it, that doesn't bother me at all :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Barall View Post
    The problem is that they don't know anything about photography or about how photographers use cameras. It's all just so pointless. Being able to program the computer in a camera is going to "change photography"? Huh?
    Just because they aren't "photographers" doesn't mean they can't come up with some very interesting technologies for photography and other areas. You should see some of the amazing stuff that ICT (Institute for Creative Technologies) is doing with cameras, in regards to research and new technology. I know a few of the guys working there, and have seen some of their facilities and their stuff is nothing short of amazing! Is it "fine art" photography? no. But is it photography? I'd say so, and I don't see anything wrong with it. Trust me, there's some cool stuff going on behind the closed doors :-D Will it affect us using Large format? no, most likely not. Will it affect the rest of the public using digital cameras? Yes, eventually it probably will.

I don't think you need to embrace digital technology if you don't want to. But I think calling research "pointless" is a little bit naive I think. Just because it might not directly affect you, doesn't mean it's pointless.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

It says in one frame but it seems to be combining multiple frames into one final image
    Seems to be automated photoshop in camera with less control
    if it's not less control in the camera how much work does it take to get the camera to do what you want and is that still less than it would be in photoshop
    seems like a ton of work for someone and then everyone else leeches off it
    like a photoshop action done in camera if im understanding enough of it

If that's what this basically is I've had this idea for many years and where I thought digital would go to overtake MF and compete with LF

Actually my Pentax K7 will do HDR in the camera. It flips the mirror and then takes a couple of shots and then drops the mirror again and merges them into one JPEG. There is a choice between strong and weak settings. AFAIK there is at least one other SLR out there that can do this.

Well, as members of this forum, we know something about the temptations of gadgetry. If we could only free ourselves of the nuisances and details of picture making, THEN we'd be on our way to creative nirvana.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

David J. Heinrich

This is an interesting project that hopefully will convince manufacturers to start coding their firmware under free software (i.e., GPL 3) licenses. This way, users can get updates from the community even after the company no-longer wishes to do so.

I suspect that Free Software firmware could replace proprietary firmware anyways if developers can figure out how to do that. There are similar projects for phones, where GPL'ed phone firmware is developed, and can replace the proprietary interfaces. The same could happen with cameras.

I find this interesting as well. In reality, someday, d____l will match analogue but that doesn't mean we have to use it. What is the difference between dodging and burning and PS'ing an image? I like traditional photography best, and I ride a 40 year old motorcycle. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate the engineering that's gone into a Hayabusa generating 180 hp.