Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longest Lens for 4x10 ??

Longest Lens for 4x10 ??

This may be a dumb question but I'm just now getting back into LF and am assembling my lens kit for 4x10. I shot 4x5 years ago and found that a 300mm was "usually" long enough to meet my long lens needs although there were times that a 450mm would have been nice.

Panoramic isn't new to me because I always cropped my images to at least 2:3 ratio and often 1:2 or wider. However, shooting with a true panoramic camera IS new to me.

So far I've collected all the lenses I need from ultra-wide to slightly long... 450mm. My gut feeling is I'll often find myself wanting a 600mm or longer lens. If my calculations are correct using 135mm as normal for 60x120mm (4x5 cropped to 1:2 ratio) and 260mm as normal for 4x10 then my longest lens should be approximately 890mm... if my shooting style hasn't changed. I plan on buying a used Canham 4x10... if I can find one I can afford... which has a max bellows extension of 660mm. Even if I use a 150mm top-hat extension board the max "long" lens I could use is about 700mm or just a bit longer and this will require a support aid from under the lens to a tripod leg or to the ground. I really wanted to avoid use of a telephoto design due to size/weight but I guess I'm stuck with one if I really want to shoot with something longer than 600mm. Telephotos are also VERY pricey.

I've resaerched this but am a bit stuck when it comes to the really long/telephoto lenses. Maybe an 800mm Nikkor-T??

All advice is appreciated!!

Re: Longest Lens for 4x10 ??

There is one mental thing you can use:

If you are used to 4x5 and take the 4 for the S(hort) and and the 5 for the L(ong) end see what lenses you want to use to make a good looking 2x5 inch photo.
    Than double the focal lenth for 4x10 and than find a lens in that focal lenth with a IC to acomodate the 4x10 inch format.

Mind you, when you have that figured out for your self you will have to find a camera with bellows on which you can use all the lenses you want.

In the extra-long departement I can forsee some problems in bellows and groundrail/bed lenth.
    It might be easier and cheaper to use a 8x10 camera with a modified back that can be set-up with diferent beds and bellows to suit both the very wides and the very long ones and keep the weight down to your needs.

In your case I would be looking at a Sinar because it can be adapted so easily.......

Peter

Thanks, Peter. Yes, that's about the 890mm I mentioned. Of course, I can't focus a 890mm Apo Ronar on any 4x10 camera of which I'm aware. I could just squeeze a 800mm Nikkor-T into infinity focus or a "smidge" closer with the Canham or similar. I dunno... maybe I already answered my own question. My feeble brain ain't worth poop these days. I'm just looking for alternatives... smaller/lighter/cheaper/better. Yeah, I know... I'm dreaming.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

If the 450mm you mentioned is a Fujinon-C, you might be in luck. I found that an Olympus C-180 Teleconverter (x1.7) works astoundingly well with this lens, resulting in a sharp, small 765mm which doesn't need any extra bellows. I know, it's heresy. Imagine my surprise when I realized my jokingly added TC was producing a quality output.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

Carsten, yes it's a Fujinon-C. I'll check out the teleconverter. You may have just made my day!!

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Mike,
    one caveat: I've only used it up to 5x7...I can look at it tomorrow using shift to see whether you'd get vignetting at 4x10...wouldn't think so though.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

Great... thank you!!

Dave Karp

Carsten,

That teleconverter idea is brilliant. I might have to try that for my 450 on 4x5 up to WP. I look forward to your report. All this time lusting over a 600mm Fujinon C when I don't even have a long enough bellows to use it! (I know its a disease).

Mike,

You might also consider buying an ARCA Swiss or Sinar and having Richard Ritter build a 4x10 back and bellows for it. Check this out: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...hlight=franken

So... two fish on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    You might also consider buying an ARCA Swiss or Sinar and having Richard Ritter build a 4x10 back and bellows for it. Check this out: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...hlight=franken
    $$$ $$$