Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Where do you buy your film?

Re: Where do you buy your film?

All of my film is purchased mail order usually from B & H because my local "Imaging Centers" only stock a few rolls of 35mm Fuji film. Sheet or 120/220 film.....HA, not on your life.

In Europe, via macodirect.de. In the US, freestyle.

-M

I second the mention of Justfilmsf.com. in San Francisco.
    Volker is great to deal with.
    415-864-0665.
    I was looking for Fuji Acros last year and called Calumet (San Francisco), another great place, and Calumet referred me to Just Film!
    -Brad

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

For the past few years I have been purchasing Fuji Acros sheet film from Badger Graphics in Wisconsin and I highly recommend them. Jeff is a great person to work with.

For Tmax and Fuji 160C/S I usually go the the local Calumet store in SF.

For 120 Ilford 200SFX, I have been getting it from K&S in Palo Alto. I placed my first order with Freestyle a couple of weeks ago for Rollie 4x5 IR and was impressed with the service and speed of delivery and will be ordering from them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    I didn't mean ethnicity. I meant education level.
    I meant cultural differences as they play out in day-to-day life, including that of artists. I lived there a number of years and you know the examples as well as I do. For me, the difference was an appreciation for rules rather than negotiation, with one group preferring the former and the other preferring the latter. But the cultural dedications of both groups were still important.

And it's not related to education level, at least not that I could tell.

There is no question that San Antonio is a low-income city on the whole. But there was a large enough population of wealthy people to support a lively cultural arts scene at least when I lived there, and all the populations in San Antonio seemed willing to appreciate it. The best photography exhibit I ever saw was at the McNay Art Museum in Alamo Heights; what a wonderful cozy space for viewing smallish prints by Adams, Strand, Stieglitz, Lange, and so on. The San Antonio Symphony consistently exceeds the expectations of its budget. I always thought that the culture in San Antonio was more built in than built on. People from San Antonio are from somewhere--here in northern Virginia (and Dallas was the same way) people come and go with little regard for the place.

So, (getting back to the thread) I would expect a better chance of finding a good stock of large-format film in a store there than here (northern Virginia), despite that it is South Texas, and despite that it's a smaller metro area.

Rick "wondering if the Austin sources have also dried up" Denney

Andi Heuser

I buy local at my favored lab

www.hsldigital.de

What they don't have in the fridge they can order fast.
    It's ten minutes from my home with bicycle

sanchi

I just bought some 8x10 ortho x-ray film at CXS Online, per the X-ray film thread.

As for San Antonio, anybody near there should check out the Southwest School of Arts & Craft. I used to have friends on faculty there, it's a great arts resource.

Quote Originally Posted by jdaivpmed View Post
    I'm in San Antonio, TX - we're now the seventh largest city in the country so you would think that a person could at least buy a ten pack of 8x10 TMX locally, but no such luck! Hmmm... maybe I need to get some dealership agreements and start my own shop. Then again, there's probably a reason no one else in SA is selling LF film anymore.
    Here in East TX (Houston) we have Camera Co-op, who does carry a small selection of 4x5, provided they haven't been cleaned out by the back-to-college crowd, but I have never checked on 8x10. Other than that, it is the usual suspects, already named above...

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    San Antonio is the 7th-largest municipality, but not the 7th-largest metropolitan area. On that list, it's about 30th.
    Rick,

You're correct San Antonio is 7th largest by population, 15th largest in terms of geographic area, and 28th largest when compared as an overall metroplex. By anyone's definition it's big and as such I feel they should sell BIG film here?

I mean come on... this is Texas right?

John IV

Quote Originally Posted by jdaivpmed View Post
    You're correct San Antonio is 7th largest by population, 15th largest in terms of geographic area, and 28th largest when compared as an overall metroplex. By anyone's definition it's big and as such I feel they should sell BIG film here?
    I now live in the DC area, and there's nobody within easy reach of me that sells big film. I can't even find a decent selection of roll film. And we are 9th in metro area size, or something like that. I think the era of cities providing broad services just because they are big is gone.

Rick "thinking San Antonio never bought into the 'Texas is big' thing" Denney