Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello from Texas

Octogenarian

Re: Hello from Texas

Michael,

If you are unable to find someone in your area to personally guide you, perhaps you can find an LF workshop that will be convenient for you to attend.

Sometimes LF workshops take place in San Antonio.

Also,check out the LF workshops at www.viewcamera.com

Random Pixel Generator

Quote Originally Posted by anchored View Post
    Hey Michael... you're not alone in Texas... there's a goodly handful of us shooting large format film cameras in the Republic. I also shoot a Linhof Master Technika and live near Fort Worth.

Ever since my "conversion" a couple of years ago I haven't used my other systems (35mm film, Medium format film, or digital)... they don't provide the Fun Factor OR the great big ol' pieces of film the Linhof does..... Yes indeed, size does indeed matter!!!

Glenn
    Thanks Glenn. If I can ever shoot something with it I think I'll probably enjoy it. I don't think I'll stop using my 35mm gear. I'm way too heavily invested there. But sometimes I want to slow down and enjoy the shot...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    Michael,

A hardy howdy from Converse, TX!! I'm about 60 miles to your west so you if you squint hard enough on a clear day you might see me wave to you.

Mike
    Oh yeah... I know where that is. Not far from Schertz right off the Anderson Loop.

Michael,

Not to argue with your intended methods but why are you only considering Polaroid film? Why not shoot sheet film or, if you'd rather not, then buy a roll fill holder and shoot 120? You can get some spectacular results with 6x12cm and is easy to load and shoot.

Mike
    I wouldn't exactly call it intended or a method The answer is pretty simple. I bought the stuff a few years ago. It came with two unopened boxes of Polaroid 55 and 3 holders. At this point I am able to put one of the 4 lenses that I have on the camera and focus it with some confidence that it really is focused. What I don't know how to do is install film, fine tune, removed exposed film... etc...

So the answer is- Because I don't have a clue.

Is it the viewfinder and cams you're having issues with or ground glass focusing? If the latter are you using a loop and dark cloth?

Random Pixel Generator

Is it the viewfinder and cams you're having issues with or ground glass focusing? If the latter are you using a loop and dark cloth?
    Neither... at least I think.

Yes I use a loupe and dark cloth.

I don't know how to load film. It's really that simple. I know how to load the holder into the camera. I don't know how to load the film or remove it to have it processed. The Polaroid 55 that I have apparently isn't like my dad's old land camera so I don't even know what to do with it.

I don't shoot Polaroid so I can only suggest you google for that or post the query here. I can help with sheet or roll film though.

Random Pixel Generator

I don't shoot Polaroid so I can only suggest you google for that or post the query here. I can help with sheet or roll film though.
    Sheet film help would be great. I know where to get it.

I have two 545i film holders and one Fujifilm Quickloader. Is either one of these going to work? I'm pretty sure that the Fujifilm Quickloader will work with the this film

this might help get you started.

bob

http://www.butzi.net/articles/filmload.htm

Random Pixel Generator

I included a link in my other post and a moderator has to approve...

I'll take any sheet film help that I can get. I have (2) 545i 4x5 film holders and one Fujifilm Quickloader.

And after digging for a second... I just found a Kodak Readyload Single Sheet packet film holder.

Do you have any double dark slide holders like shown in the link Bob provided?

Random Pixel Generator

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McCarthy View Post
    this might help get you started.

bob

http://www.butzi.net/articles/filmload.htm
    Thanks Bob. That is a great link

It triggered a question or two...

Do you put only one sheet of film in a film holder? I can't see me standing on a cactus covered hill in the middle of Big Bend with one sheet of film and one chance to get it right... not to sound whiny but there's got to be something I'm missing...

It seems like you have to go to a lot of trouble to put film into and take it out of a holder. I don't have a single room in my house that doesn't have a window... what if you are in the field (backpacking for instance). I've got to be missing something...