Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: NEW 8x10 Field Cameras under $2000 USD?

Re: NEW 8x10 Field Cameras under $2000 USD?

ic-racer,

Why not buy my used Arca Swiss 8x10 listed in the classified which is a great camera and vastly less than 50% of retail. Check it out if you have not seen it.

But if you must buy new for about $2000 (which is exactly the scenario I just went through) check out the Wehman. I went to Bruce Wehman's house, met him, checked out the camera, etc. It is a great camera for lightweight, durability, bellows (150-600mm lenses), compactness (by memory it is ~13.5 x 14.5 x 3.6 inches). I really enjoy it so far.

I also picked up a used Sinar 4x5 back used and he built a reduction back for only ~$100. I have not used it yet but I am sure I will in the long run, especially if I pick up a 600mm lens in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    ic-racer,

Why not buy my used Arca Swiss 8x10 listed in the classified which is a great camera and vastly less than 50% of retail. Check it out if you have not seen it.
    How much does the Arca Swiss weigh?

I don't have the weights but I had a similar 8x10 Arca, older style, and they are very light, strong, and compact. I doubt it could weigh more than the Shen while being more solid and having more movements. While the Shen is solid, the Arca will even stronger, and compared to a Tachi or Gowland it will surly be more sturdy. Jerold is also a good guy to buy from.

Quote Originally Posted by timbo10ca View Post
    I have the Shen Hao HZX 57 and I love it- has huge amounts of movements. I was recently going down the same route as you and the FCL810 did not interest me for the same reason the FCL57 didn't- bellows draw and movements. So I emailed Zhang Fuming (owner?) of Shen Hao in China about the defunct HZX810. His response:

"Dear Sir,
    The lastest model of HZX810 is HZX810-Classic, which was made of aluminium alloy and black walnut, and will cost 2290 USD."

So they brought it back? Interesting they weren't making this when I got my FCL.

I guess it depends if you are a wide or a long person. The FCL design goes VERY wide. With a 5x7 back on it I doubt you'll find many 5x7 cameras that will go wider with a flat board. Hell if they sold a 4x5 back it would go wider then some 4x5s

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    How much does the Arca Swiss weigh?
    The Arca sold! Thanks Frank. The camera weighed 13.5 pounds on my kitchen scales. My Wehman (which is the regular model, not the lightweight) is about 8 pounds and much more compact. I don't know how much a Shen weighs but the Wehman folds into its own aluminum case with no exposed ground glass so it might need extra padding or protection that could add to the real life weight.

The FCL from memory is less then 7lbs. I want to say just over 3kg.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    the Wehman folds into its own aluminum case with no exposed ground glass so it might need extra padding or protection that could add to the real life weight.
    This trait lets me feel comfortable enough to strap my wehman to the outside of a pack. If it gets rainy or really dusty, I have a lightweight rain cover that goes over both the pack and camera.

This whole setup allows me to have a much smaller pack as the camera does not need to fit inside.

When traveling by air, I am able to carry this stuff on quite simply. Before the security checkpoint, I detach the camera from the pack. The pack is my one carry on and the camera which basically looks like a squarish briefcase is my personal item.

After security I reattach for easier travel in the airport and separate again before boarding. The pack goes in the overhead bin and the camera fits under the seat in front of me. My checked bag contains extra film holders, tripod, and some clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schmidt View Post
    This trait lets me feel comfortable enough to strap my wehman to the outside of a pack. If it gets rainy or really dusty, I have a lightweight rain cover that goes over both the pack and camera.

This whole setup allows me to have a much smaller pack as the camera does not need to fit inside.

When traveling by air, I am able to carry this stuff on quite simply. Before the security checkpoint, I detach the camera from the pack. The pack is my one carry on and the camera which basically looks like a squarish briefcase is my personal item.

After security I reattach for easier travel in the airport and separate again before boarding. The pack goes in the overhead bin and the camera fits under the seat in front of me. My checked bag contains extra film holders, tripod, and some clothes.
    WOW! this is a strong endorsement for the Wehman! Thanks.

Just to be clear, the Wehman is no Arca! I have an Arca F-Line 4x5 and I think it is a piece of art itself. But the Wehman is perfectly practical for field use and a great deal.

Just to get back to the thread's original topic, per the Wehman site it does not fit in:
    Standard weight.....$2200.00 USD
    Light weight...........$2550.00 USD