Thread: I souped some Kodak Ortholith in Rodinal ...

I souped some Kodak Ortholith in Rodinal ...

... and the negs are FUNKIEEEE to say the least!

Looks almost like a reversed cream coloured pencil/chalkish drawing! Both negs look kinda super dense!

I exposed at ISO 12 for the 'correct' EV, and souped two water pre-soaked (2-3 mins) sheets in Roddie 1:150 starting at 18 deg for 18 mins with a finishing temp of 21.5 deg, then used the Ilford aroma-less stop and normal Ilford fixer. 5 slow inversions every minute. I used a Paterson system 4 tank and just put the film sheets curled emulsion side inwards. The negs look very evenly developed.

I'm wondering what went wrong ... should I try a 1:200 Roddie dilution and keep everything the same, or shoot st say ISO 18 or 25 and develop with Roddie at 1:200?

I'll try and scan the negs later and see what results I get.

Re: I souped some Kodak Ortholith in Rodinal ...

Have you seen Mr. Galli's web examples of Arista sheet lith?

Hi Ed, yes, I've seen that page, as well as read about using restrainers to tame the contrast more.

I'm not sure if it's a contrast issue per se I'm facing, but perhaps one of development itself.

I really have no idea what's going on at the moment, but it looks like a lot more experimentation with ISO ratings and development formulas are in order.

Either that or the film is gone (which I think unlikely since I've often read that ortho films keep almost forever, and this box was said to have been refrigerated).

I wonder if anyone has used Perceptol and at what ISO ratings/dilution times for ortho film?

Rodinal is exceedingly rare in my country.

Lee, what are you trying to achieve? Are you after a continuous tone image with say a density range of about 1.5? If I look at some of my old data on Kodalith Ortho for continuous tone work I find I used Dektol or Selectol at 1:2 or 3 as the developer. It appears I used ASA 6 or 8 for the speed. Kodalith is very dense stuff - even in old age I suspect.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Thanks Nathan.

Yes, I was trying to achieve a continuous tone. My bad, I did not mention my objective in the first post.

I'll try your Dektol or Selectol suggestion. I think the shops may still have some of it, and i remember coming across it being mentioned in my searches about developing Ortholith.

Thank you.