Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Does the 5X8 format have advantages over 5X7?

Re: Does the 5X8 format have advantages over 5X7?

I know I am late to answer this question, but for the record:
    In March 2020, I asked COLOR SERVICES ( http://www.colorservices.com ) if they can develop 5x8 color film, they said " Yes, we can process this size film. We checked this morning. The charge will be the same as 6x7 sheet film. "

Advantage depends

I know most of you are thinking landscape usage in a smaller custom 5X8 camera or back

I bought NOS horizontal 8x10 Deardorff slider from an esteemed LFPF member some years ago

No need to cut film down from 8x10 until perhaps after shooting

Think Diptychs, and the 2 second delay for portraits which often gives a better pose

I don't know of any 5X8 developing hangers and I always process with 8x10 hangers

If both shots work, print the entire 8X10

I have used sliders on 4X5 making 2 and 4 up

and have a few more slider formats

An ongoing current project is Triptychs
    Tin Can

Anybody have problems with excess scratching during tray development...due to sharp ridges created by cutting down LF film? Just wondering.

Sure, it gives camera manufacturer's an opportunity to sell another camera.

When Ebony was still in business, they built a 5x8 back for my 810slw. I also have a 3D printed 5x8 camera with a helical mount for a Schneider 72 sa xl. I currently have fotoman building a version of their 45sps in a 5x8 camera, it will have 20mm of rise and fall and they are building a cone and helical for my 72xl and 90xl. I have 10 Chamonix 5x8 holders.
    I think it’s safe to say I am committed to the format and love the aspect ratio.

For processing I use the Jobo 4x5 3006 expert drum, 5 sheets at a time.
    Last edited by John Brady; 10-Jul-2021 at 15:17. Reason: Spell check didn’t like fotoman

I have a 5x7 Deardorff, 8x10 Wehman, 5x12 Korona, 7x17 Korona and others. I have been processing my own film both B&W and at times color both positive and negative since 1938.
    I would love to have a 5x8 camera, but since they are out of my reach , I cut dark slides to make 5x8 negatives. I now make only contact prints because i grew tired of enlarging years ago.
    In other words I do as I please and don't depend on anyone other than film producers, primarily Ilford, for any thing. Trays and tanks ae sufficient to process film of any size. No one has ever processed my film or made prints for me.
    My feeling is that today people are basically mentality and physically lazy. They want someone to do all the grunt work for them. Through the years I have set up darkrooms in dirt basements, attics w/o water, dorm rooms, small bathrooms, kitchens and other uncomfortable places.
    If a person wants to photograph in 5x8,or any other size - there is a way to do so. All it takes is some effort and ingenuity.
    Jiri seems to be doing it -so can you.

I say buy a 5x12 Camera and crop as desired. I suppose a cropped 8x10 would work too for 5x7 and 5x8. but if wanting Pano, a 5x12 vs 4x10 has just a bit more presence. Weight, size, and lens wise the two camera formats are about the same. Enlarging 4x5 and crop with a paper mask or easel works fine too and is the most economical choice long term.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I have a 5x7 Deardorff, 8x10 Wehman, 5x12 Korona, 7x17 Korona and others. I have been processing my own film both B&W and at times color both positive and negative since 1938.
    I would love to have a 5x8 camera, but since they are out of my reach , I cut dark slides to make 5x8 negatives. I now make only contact prints because i grew tired of enlarging years ago.
    In other words I do as I please and don't depend on anyone other than film producers, primarily Ilford, for any thing. Trays and tanks ae sufficient to process film of any size. No one has ever processed my film or made prints for me.
    My feeling is that today people are basically mentality and physically lazy. They want someone to do all the grunt work for them. Through the years I have set up darkrooms in dirt basements, attics w/o water, dorm rooms, small bathrooms, kitchens and other uncomfortable places.
    If a person wants to photograph in 5x8,or any other size - there is a way to do so. All it takes is some effort and ingenuity.
    Jiri seems to be doing it -so can you.
    ditto ditto ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Anybody have problems with excess scratching during tray development...due to sharp ridges created by cutting down LF film? Just wondering.
    No - But it requires careful handling.

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    I say buy a 5x12 Camera and crop as desired. I suppose a cropped 8x10 would work too for 5x7 and 5x8. but if wanting Pano, a 5x12 vs 4x10 has just a bit more presence. Weight, size, and lens wise the two camera formats are about the same. Enlarging 4x5 and crop with a paper mask or easel works fine too and is the most economical choice long term.
    For 5x8, using an 8x10 with internal dividers to put two 5x8 images on a sheet of 8x10 film seems a way to go -- and you can go 8x10 if an image calls for it...or even make a couple 4x10s...

And having two 5x8 sheets commercially color-processed might cost more than one sheet of 8x10.

But why stop there? I make 5.5x14 negs with my 11x14. It is just a little more weight...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11x14Fun.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China