Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens Hood Recommendations?

Lens Hood Recommendations?

I tried the hat method for my first shots, but would like to know what lens hood or shade more experienced photographers use. I have read a few posts about Lee products and a standard adapter ring.

I would like to be able to attach it to the equipment shown in my signature below.

Re: Lens Hood Recommendations?

The Lee system is what I use, and it works quite well for both the lens hood and graduated ND filter use. The lens hood is a bellows hood, so one can adjust the coverage as needed (flexing it in or out). So one can draw it back when using a wider lens to eliminate vignetting, and pull it foward a few inches for your telephoto's as needed.
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-

Do you always use a lens hood with large format?

I try to use a lens hood whenever possible on my digital camera.

Is the Lee system pretty much industry standard?

Does the Lee system work with all LF cameras? especially Chamonix?

Lee works with lenses and adapters for the front of those lenses, the place where you would put a filter.
    I use this type of hood for both my MF's, one made for my Rollei SL66 and the other one for my Mamiya RB 67.

Peter

One problem with Lee filters is that you need an adapter ring for each lenses and the rings are quite expensive. If you have just two lenses that is not so bad but I assume you will accumulate more with time. I like a compendium hood.

David,

While I have the Cokin system and will occasionally use one of their hoods, I actually find that I ignore the hoods as getting in the way of working with the shutter controls.

More often than not, I simply use the dark slide held off to the side and casting a shadow across the lens. This method works quite well, but when using a 90mm or shorter, be very aware that you have to hold the slide well out of the way of the field of view. But that's the same thing you worry about with a hood to begin with.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Always use a lens shade. The Lee system works well. They also make lens caps so you can leave the adapter ring on the lens. Yes the adapters are expensive, but if you're patient you can find them used.

Try this: set your camera up for a normal shot, and remove the back. Get under the dark cloth, and shade the lens with your hat. See how much stray light is bouncing around inside the bellows. Now try it with the lens shade...you'll see the difference.

I've helped Lee Filters to develop their lens shade. In my opinion it's the best lens shade on the market. But not the best possible. I make my lens shades typical to the lens and the film format in use, something that Lee cannot do for marketing reasons.
    Using an effective lens shade is more important that using MC lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    One problem with Lee filters is that you need an adapter ring for each lenses and the rings are quite expensive. If you have just two lenses that is not so bad but I assume you will accumulate more with time. I like a compendium hood.
    Why not use step up rings instead? They're cheap. I've got them on all my lenses so I can use 82mm filters which happens to be the diameter of my largest lens.
    I know for wide angle lenses the added metal may get in the way but for everything else they'd work fine, right?

Drew Wiley

I have a quick system always attached to the camera, which holds a section of old
    darkslide and instantly flips down. But for more serious circumstances I also pack
    a bellows-style compendium with lens adapters. The best system I ever used was
    Sinar's, where you attached a spare bellows with a simple frame and rod adapter.