Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help making some lensboards - SF bay area

help making some lensboards - SF bay area

Hi all,
    I know that making lensboards isn't _that_ hard, but I don't have the tools to make them for my B&J 5x7. Is there anyone in the SF bay area that can help me out? Maybe someone can point me to a good resource?

danke,
    allan

Re: help making some lensboards - SF bay area

Allan,
    what size (hxw) and diameter hole cut do you need?

I accually had my plummber do one for me no charge. Of course I was paying him plenty for the other work he did.

I used to make "temporary" lens boards for the B&J out of ordinary corregated cardboard. I used to do this as a quick and dirty way to check out various lenses...with care they last quite a while.

Hard board works quite well too...cut two pieces - one for the top and one for the bottom, cut the circular holes in the center and glue them together.

Black foam-core works well. I use elmer's glue to toughen up the edges and they last a long time and hold a surprising amount of weight.

I've had good luck with "hobby" plywood. (Found in hobby stores.) It tends not to be warped, it's smooth, and it can be purchased in different thicknesses. 1/8th inch works well for Deardorff boards. It can also be stained and finished.

I've been making a few for my 8x10 Deardorff lately. Its 3/8" plywood, and I get the wood from an internet place called Horizon Hobby.

Basically 3 cuts are needed.
    A good chopsaw will get you the basic shape, 6"x6" for me. I do several to allow for mistakes later
    Then I have a router mounted in a table to cut the groove, or ledge, which is half the size of thickness (3/16" for me), around the perimeter. Its good to have a working board to compare with for this step.
    Then I use a friend's drill press that has an inexpensive hole cutting bit that can be adjusted for different diameters. Then sandpaper for rounding the corners and making a better fit.
    Most guys with a woodshop could do these easily, if you don't have access to the tools.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Allan,

I live in San Mateo and have made lens boards for myself and a few other forum members. I use bamboo plywood, it's strong, light, and the product is very consistent in thickness. I have attached two photos of a 4"x4" Wisner board that I made so you could see what they look like.

Take a look and if your interested PM me.

Roger Thoms

You can cut 1/8 plywood with a sharp knife and a straightedge
    Make the light baffle layer with 1/8x1/4 basswood, cut with a knife or razor saw by Xacto or Midwest. The hole can be hacked with a knife and smoothed with sandpaper, or drill a series of holes around the lens opening and carve/sand to final ID etc.
    I have made boards and adapter boards this way. I have cut the rough opening with a brace and expandable bit as well. Now i have power tools, but getting good fit still requires hand work. If you only need one or two boards, an investment in power tools won't pay for your time saved

I have made lensboards for my old Speed Graphics with 1/4 inch birch plywood which I purchased at the hobby shop. I used my neighbor's table saw to cut the pieces to 4 x 4 inches, then adjusted the blade so that I could cut a 1/8 inch rabbett around the perimeter of the board. I used a hole saw and a drill press to cut the hole for the lens. Some fine sanding was all that was necessary to finish the board. I then painted it with flat black to match the camera. Works great, cost only a few bucks.