Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sharp and cheap 90mm ?

Red face sharp and cheap 90mm ?

Hello everyone!

I just got myself a lovely tachihara, and I'm now looking for a wide angle 90mm lens to go with it

I just finished my studies and don't have much money to spend trough, but I would like to get the sharpest lens that I can afford.

I was thinking about the super angulon F8.
    Someone offered me one of those dated from the '60, but I'm still trying to understand which model is it, and I was said that it doesn't have a previev lever, and that I'll have to use the B setting with the cable release. would that be all right?

I'm a bit new to LF, and I'm a bit confused.

I saw some auction on ebay of that same lens, but some of those goes for 100$ and others for 600$.
    Do you have any advice? I'd like to understand if there is any big difference between those models, and if there is any other recommended brand as well.
    I'm starting a project in which a bit of architecture will be involved and need something sharp

thanks!

Re: sharp and cheap 90mm ?

The early 90mm Super Angulons are excellent lenses, the coatings are good although obviously not multi-coated, and they are extremely sharp.

The difference in prices may well reflect the age and whether MC.

Other good 90mm's are the Rodentsock Grandagon f4.5 or f6.8 also sold rebadged as Caltars, Both Nikon & Fuji made good 90mm's as well.

Ian

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Early 90mm f:8 Super Angulons came in size 00 shutters, which do not have a preview lever. Later versions have better coating, and size 0 shutters which do have preview levers.

I use one of these old ones with a locking cable release, and it's a very good lens. However I frequently use a simple old 90mm f:6.8 Angulon instead, if I don't need the extra coverage of the SA.

The 90/8 should be just about the best available for your use - on your budget.

thank you!
    I just found a caltar 90mm W 300 $ and a W II for 300$ as well..
    but I'm still trying to figure out what to choose.
    I still have to make an offer for the super angulon, I'm trying to understand how much i should offer to the seller any idea?
    Does the caltar lens has a preview instead? I'm a newbie and I'm a bit of afraid of screwing up without it.

There's no real differences in quality between the Super Angulon's (bar the very first in a 00 shutter) and the Grandagons/Caltars.

I have a f5.6 90mm Super Angulon (not Multi coated) in the UK, and a Multicoated f6.8 Grandagon here in Turkey and the results are indistinguishable.

The Caltars should have a preview lever.

Ian

Dave Karp

I used to have a single coated 90mm f/8 Fujinon SW in a Copal shutter that I found very sharp. It was very inexpensive, as 90mm lenses go, and the photos looked just as good as anything taken with one of my expensive lenses.

thank you IanG!

the lens I was going to buy had a 00 shutter, so it's good to know that is not as good as the other ones

I found another super angulon on ebay for about 270$ on a #0 shutter. I'm also looking at a Grandagon F 4.5 mounted on a 1 shutter and a caltar W mounted on 0 shutter and finally another caltar W II mounted on 0 shutter as well.

Would the shutter 1 or 0 make any difference? I'm thinking about getting the last caltar. there is a buy it now for 300 $ that is actually my budget.

Please if any of you can, let me know if it would be a good deal or it would be better to look some more!

thanks!

The tiny, inexpensive 90/6.8 Schneider Angulons can be just as sharp as anything so long as you stop down to f/16 and have a later model (2 million serial # to 7 million just got better) or a Linhof-selected one.

Even wide open they are fun. You can find them for $200 or so.

The 90/4.5 Grandagon is a dream lens with lots of movement, sharp wide-open, modern, bigger and heavier and more expensive. Very Nice!

It's hit and miss finding a good 90mm Angulon, I've had 3 and only the current one has been sharp (6746***) it's very usable but there 's no room for any movements, mine's with my hand-held Crown Graphic kit.

It may be the lens spacing that's an issue, and tolerances with Compur shutters that's the problem. I know Dean (razzledog) has found there's a marked variation in overall length and has improved lenses by changing the cell spacing.

Ian

multiplex

you might look for a wollensak 3 1/2 inch exwa lens
    they are usually in a tiny alphax shutter.
    covers a 5x7 sheet stopped down and it is
    great little lens that is often overlooked ...