Page 339 of 404 FirstFirst ... 239289329337338339340341349389 ... LastLast
Results 3,381 to 3,390 of 4031

Thread: post alternative techniques

Re: post alternative techniques

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Stonehenge paper was preshrunk in boiled water. It shrunk 3mm in one direction. I stuck it in boiling water again, but no more shrinkage. This paper needs to be acidified, so it received it's usual bath in sulfamic acid.

Two digital negatives were used, one for the kallitype and one for the carbon tissue. I used my usual profiles... but they will have to be modified for this process after viewing finished print.

Registration was very, very simple. A heavy piece of plexi with two pins stuck through from the bottom side. You can see the registration marks on the finished print. The negative is taped to the tissue, registration marks are carefully poked with a pin (same size as pins on the registration board) Once exposed, the kallitype is placed on the registration board pins facing up. The exposed tissue is placed on the pins facing down. Both slipped into the mating bath for determined time. Pulled out, squeegeed, 30 minute wait time. Then the sandwich is pulled off the pins and placed in development bath.

I've been doing carbon transfers for 7 years and always struggled with highlight detail, especially when using digital negatives. This seems to solve that problem and add a new dimension that I'm digging. My first attempt was a bit on the contrasty side, so I will work it to get a much better balance. Once I've nailed it, I'll move on to my batch of more costly papers.
    Thanks for the explanation Andrew

Eric I didn't answer your initial question. I dilute PVA about 1+1. Four coats but two works just as well.

Eric I didn't answer your initial question. I dilute PVA about 1+1. Four coats but two works just as well.
    I question PVA as plastic, is it truly long lasting?

How would we know?

Is there any research?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I want to give this a try with the new Leica monachrome with screw in filters to separate, I think the portability , quality will suit my needs for the project.
    Of course the monochromatic, non-Bayer sensor may have slightly more resolution, but in reality the Leica M or any high-end digital can do the same thing for you - just separate the channels in Photoshop from a single color image, right?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I question PVA as plastic, is it truly long lasting?

How would we know?

Is there any research?
    Not sure. For my next text I'm using a matte acrylic polymer. I don't really care for the gloss of the PVA.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Of course the monochromatic, non-Bayer sensor may have slightly more resolution, but in reality the Leica M or any high-end digital can do the same thing for you - just separate the channels in Photoshop from a single color image, right?
    If you use the monochrome then each capture is full, so in fact joining them would triple the size. Separating the channels in Photoshop would work and I am thinking that as you say it may not make a difference to someone making gum prints but definitely worth a try , but I like this build up of info idea.

I have a Leica beta tester in my darkroom working on a huge project and he explained this to me so I am really talking second hand knowledge but it does make sense.

by having the camera static, and then capturing full resolution with each filter then recombining in my mind turns the 35mp camera into a 105mp camera. This would be helpful for larger prints.

Not sure. For my next text I'm using a matte acrylic polymer. I don't really care for the gloss of the PVA.
    I have not had much luck with PVA , or any sizing materials, I know Erik has and so have many others, but I need to really spend a month and only do tests to figure out more things... But I am having too much fun right now.

I usually us acrylic mediums to size. Been using them for years, gloss and matte, as well as a varnish. Very convenient and work well. Another sizing method I like is albumen over gelatine. More work, but lovely transfers.

I usually us acrylic mediums to size. Been using them for years, gloss and matte, as well as a varnish. Very convenient and work well. Another sizing method I like is albumen over gelatine. More work, but lovely transfers.
    Just doing my research. I know how most 'plastics' age poorly.

I may try albumen over gelatin. I may try 'whole egg'. I know I will fail repeatedly, but that's normal.

Found this recently deceased advisor today. I love his 16 prints from one neg demonstration.

http://www.hands-on-pictures.com/Tutorials/1neg.html

Off to the Art Store for paint!
    Tin Can

Cool link, Randy. Thanks.

For albumen over gelatin, just buy liquid egg whites from your local grocery store.