Page 330 of 404 FirstFirst ... 230280320328329330331332340380 ... LastLast
Results 3,291 to 3,300 of 4031

Thread: post alternative techniques

Re: post alternative techniques

Bob, info about the list here:

https://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com...o-process-list

and archives of emails here:

https://mailman-mail5.webfaction.com...-process-list/

Occasionally the list goes off on some esoteric topics but in general it's excellent. Very highly recommended.

While teaching summer courses in alt proc, there's a little time for experimenting:
    Liquid emulsion on the back of a canvas... then brown toned - then cyanotype chemistry added and partially bleached...

Fun stuff...

Meet Emma

(13x18 cm film - Boyer 300mm 4.5 lens - Gandolfi Precision)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails emma2-72.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Schildt View Post
    While teaching summer courses in alt proc, there's a little time for experimenting:
    Liquid emulsion on the back of a canvas... then brown toned - then cyanotype chemistry added and partially bleached...

Fun stuff...

Meet Emma

(13x18 cm film - Boyer 300mm 4.5 lens - Gandolfi Precision)
    Always creative Emil!

Second week of summer courses ended - Bromoil - Cyanotype - Liquid emulsion - Paper negs...
    ...and then me playing around with liquid emulsion on canvas...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tina-72.jpg  

Old School Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    Went to Canyonlands for the day and hiked out to this point. 8x10 fp4 with 19 inch red dot artar. Gum over platinum/palladium print in platine.

Like.

Bamboo Forest Light by Andrew O'Neill, on Flickr

Shot this in my favourite bamboo forest in Japan... Setaka, Japan, to be exact. Shot on HP5 4x5. Digital negative. Not a very sharp reproduction. Used my telephone. Apologies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fish.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	152659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reddress.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	152660

Slightly new direction on my Solarization Project. these two images are shot with 4 x5 colour negative film then solarized halfway through C41 process, I use deep tank and stainless holders to do this.
    The result is what you see, I have not manipulated in PhotoShop other than make the three negatives for the dress, and the two negatives for the fish.

I am not using a palladium layer but only pigment in gum...

Here is a question, what pigment can I use for black- everywhere I read black pigment is tough, I was thinking of mixing a blue and Sepia to create a dark tone and then use it in conjection with the K negative.

Something interesting no f...ing doughnut swirlies so I am kind of thinking the Palladium layer will indeed require a sizing to stop this dreaded problem I have been getting. With gum over palladium.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fish.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	152659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reddress.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	152660

Slightly new direction on my Solarization Project. these two images are shot with 4 x5 colour negative film then solarized halfway through C41 process, I use deep tank and stainless holders to do this.
    The result is what you see, I have not manipulated in PhotoShop other than make the three negatives for the dress, and the two negatives for the fish.

I am not using a palladium layer but only pigment in gum...

Here is a question, what pigment can I use for black- everywhere I read black pigment is tough, I was thinking of mixing a blue and Sepia to create a dark tone and then use it in conjection with the K negative.

Something interesting no f...ing doughnut swirlies so I am kind of thinking the Palladium layer will indeed require a sizing to stop this dreaded problem I have been getting. With gum over palladium.
    Hi Bob, I like the lure! At first I thought it was a real fish sliced up till I saw the hook. I like to fly fish and always wanted to do a series of prints of the flies I tie but have only dabbled so far.

As far as black goes, I use lamp black (Windsor Newton)and ivory black (Daniel Smith). The lamp black is much stronger in covering and more opaque and a little goes a long way compared to the ivory black. Look on the label of the tube of pigment for a black that uses PBk9 as the pigment as it is supposed to be less prone to stain versus the PBk6. I don't have a staining problem but I do size before a gum layer and both the blacks I use are PBK6 so go figure?

Hi Erik

I am doing a meat and bones, I think now I will do cut up fish glad you like it.. I never tried fly fishing , basically lures, I will be posting my hula poppers.

So you are sizing all the time? do you size once or are you doing it between layers, this would add a lot of time I would think, how long does a 1:2 PVA coat need to dry in your opinion.
    I will get some Daniel Smith and give it a try, I am making a skeleton k negative to basically only define some details in the print. I am sharpening only on this layer leaving the colour layers alone.

kind of like sharpening and clarity and black slider all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Hi Erik

I am doing a meat and bones, I think now I will do cut up fish glad you like it.. I never tried fly fishing , basically lures, I will be posting my hula poppers.

So you are sizing all the time? do you size once or are you doing it between layers, this would add a lot of time I would think, how long does a 1:2 PVA coat need to dry in your opinion.
    I just size once Bob, after the pt/pd coat and before any gum layer if just doing straight gum. The pva dries really fast if you put a fan or hair drier on it - 5 minutes and I'm good to go. I haven't tried sizing on top of a gum layer, it sounds kind of iffy to me? I'm glad you got rid of the swirlies! Maybe you can do away with the pt/pd layer and use black gum instead if the swirlies were somehow related to the pt/pd layer? Many ways to skin a cat I guess?