Page 167 of 404 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177217267 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 4031

Thread: post alternative techniques

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: post alternative techniques

That may be correct. The Bergger paper was the same size as the negative and artists tape, which I use on larger papers, and damages the edges of the paper where it adheres upon removal. Here's the same image pinted on Aristrico 140Lb HP EW:

Here, compared to the Berger paper, a relatively minor blank spot appearing at the bottom, uneveniness in the sky portion, and a very faint spot at top center. This was my very first print and I used a brand new Hake brush. Unlike Vandyke sensitizer silver nitrate dries rapidly and I didn't really have a handle on applying it on this print as I did on the Bergger a few minutes later. The issues with the Bergger appears on the left side and at the top and I think that they are a result of mis applying the silver nitrate coating. Next time I'll try using double - sided tape and taping the Bergger down on the plexiglass. Once these coating issues are resolved I'm convinced that the process will deliver excellent prints.

Thomas

Claudio Santambrogio

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    According to the troubleshooting chapter in The Salt Print Manual by Ellie Young, white spots are caused by insufficient silver nitrate solution, perhaps that is why you have them on the edges of your print.
    What you are talking about are the "measles", how they were called in times past. The spots on my print are not that, they are of some different nature - they are rather large and have the shape of puddles… Usually they form along edges, and usually in places where I end my brush strokes… (by the way, I usually brush with cotton wads). Hence my suspicion of a surplus of something, probably silver nitrate… But I am still trying to understand…

Here an example:

The brownish area at the edges is where silver was brushed on, but no salt. The parts "normally" salted and silvered are greyish silvery. I can't explain those white "puddles" other than by some surplus of something…
    Last edited by csant; 12-Sep-2012 at 01:39. Reason: edit to add example

Fern, Petersham, MA, Pt/Pd Arches Platine, Canham 5x7 HP5+ PyrocatHD 305 G-Claron

David Schaller

That's superb Michael! Beautiful print. Thanks for posting it.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    That's superb Michael! Beautiful print. Thanks for posting it.
    Dave
    Agree!
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Przybyla View Post

Fern, Petersham, MA, Pt/Pd Arches Platine, Canham 5x7 HP5+ PyrocatHD 305 G-Claron
    Just stunningly gorgeous. What a perfect marriage of subject and medium.

Jonathan

Made a book.

On Bromoil printing using liquid emulsion as matrix.

Now ready for prewiev..

Take a peek.

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/3544067
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BROMOIL-Book.jpg   BROMOIL-Book-back.jpg  

Thanks guys. And if I hadn't taken the wrong trail that day, I wouldn't have gotten the photo.

Mike Przybyla

http://mikeprzybyla.zenfolio.com/

Quote Originally Posted by csant View Post
    What you are talking about are the "measles", how they were called in times past. The spots on my print are not that, they are of some different nature - they are rather large and have the shape of puddles… Usually they form along edges, and usually in places where I end my brush strokes… (by the way, I usually brush with cotton wads). Hence my suspicion of a surplus of something, probably silver nitrate… But I am still trying to understand…

The brownish area at the edges is where silver was brushed on, but no salt. The parts "normally" salted and silvered are greyish silvery. I can't explain those white "puddles" other than by some surplus of something…
    Thats true. I dont know the cause of your problem. I dont seem to get it using a makeshift rod to coat my paper. I am also using the salt and silver nitrate dilutions recomended in her book, 7ml of each per A3 sheet of Hahnmule Bamboo.

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    Made a book.

On Bromoil printing using liquid emulsion as matrix.
    Looks great! I'll have to get this. The examples are beautiful. There seems to be a lot of variety possible from a single negative. I bet the book layout took you a while, but it looks well worth it.

Jonathan