Page 234 of 404 FirstFirst ... 134184224232233234235236244284334 ... LastLast
Results 2,331 to 2,340 of 4031

Thread: post alternative techniques

Re: post alternative techniques

Thanks Sandy. The printing processes that involve the use of watercolors and oils allow so much artist expressiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    17X23" Carbon transfer print on albumen sized Strathmore Imperial Watercolor. Printed from a digital negative. Original was a 5X7" negative.
    That's a marvelous image, Sandy. It looks 3-dimensional, even on a computer screen. Thank you.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

"That's a marvelous image, Sandy. It looks 3-dimensional, even on a computer screen."

Thank you, Leigh

BTW, this is a wonderful space. The cathedral of Seville is the largest gothic cathedral in the world, and the third largest church in the world. I believe the print gives some indication of the monumental character of the building, and of the sense of light.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Sandy, beautiful image. Was that albumen sizing alone, or albumen on top of gelatin? Isopropanol-hardened?

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brazile View Post
    Sandy, beautiful image. Was that albumen sizing alone, or albumen on top of gelatin? Isopropanol-hardened?

Robert
    The albumen hardening was over a thin layer of hardened gelatin, which for some reason was not giving good transfers. In light of the fact that the paper was not working well I decided, as an experiment, to add a thin coating of albumen. After the albumen dried I hardened it by applying with a roller about 20 ml of isopropyl on a sheet of 21" X 25". There are some mechanical advantages to albumen sizing for carbon, most notably the fact that the coating appears less sensitive to conditions of RH, and secondly one can develop the relief at a slightly higher water temperature.

Coating paper with albumen is quite different mechanically than coating with gelatin so I am still trying to work out the most effective way to do this, whether by floating the paper as in the old days, by soaking or by applying with a rod. As with gelatin coating, bubble can be a real problem, but the issue is not quite as critical with two layers of size as with just a single one.

In any event a sheet of albumen sized art paper has a very different look than gelatin sized paper, and this look is there even when the paper was previously sized with gelatin as what is on top dominates in terms of the aesthetic.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Schroeder View Post
    whole plate alumitype
    Love the simplicity of it. Really beautiful.

Fort Knox, Bucksport, Maine October 2013
    5x7 Pt/Pd Print

mikeprzybyla.zenfolio.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p849475112-5.jpg  

Beautiful composition and very good print.
    Albumen printing is fun, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    17X23" Carbon transfer print on albumen sized Strathmore Imperial Watercolor. Printed from a digital negative. Original was a 5X7" negative.

I have printed this image before in carbon, but not quite this big, and with a more neutral tone than the albumen type color here.

Sandy

Thanks, Sandy, that's very helpful.

Robert

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Sandy,
    Thanks for the great info. This is exactly what I had in mind when I substrate my plates for collodion process . My first thought is to simplify my work flow in order to use the albumen for both processes ( Carbon and Ambrotype ), or at least using one type of paper for PT and Carbon final support . Hope I have some time during Holidays to test this out.Thanks again and Happy Holidays.