Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Sydney, Australia

Re: Hello from Sydney, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nicholls View Post
    You will find Robert [roteague] excellent company so I hope you have the opportunity to catch up with him. Robert almost qualifies for temporary residence status as he visits Australia so regularly.

That is the wonderful thing about this and other photographic forum -- you can establish excellent contacts.

I get my film from Freestyle and have had zero problems. Arista Edu Ultra 200.

Steve
    Steve!! Great to hear from you. I hope you have been doing well. I'll be sure to drop you a note this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Stow View Post
    Hi roteague

If you have the time we could meet up, depending on your schedule of course. Are you planning a shoot while you are in Sydney?
    Hi Robert, that would be great. I'll let you know where I'll be staying when I get all my plans firmed up. Airfare is really high this year, so I haven't made hotel reservations yet. However, I generally stay near the Airport. In the past, I've always shot 35mm in Sydney, so this trip I want to do a bit of 5x4.

Be careful what Steve tells you!! He put up with me for a weeklong trip to Alice Springs; we drove by car from his home in SA. It was a great trip for me; Steve really went out of his way to make me feel at home, and to show me around a bit (although I showed him around the West MacDonnell range!!).

Glad to see you here,

Robert Stowe:

Welcome from another Sydney LF-er. Glad you sorted out your lensboard query. These things can be a bit confusing initially but as you have discovered this forum is an excellent resource.

As for film purchasing, I have had excellent service from Freestyle in the US and highly recommend them. I particularly like being able to play with shipping costs prior to placing the order.

As for film processing I usually shoot B&W so do all my own. If I shoot colour then its E6 and I get it processed via Photo Reisel in Kent St who are 2mins walk from my office (I've only shot 120 thus far but do have some 4x5 Velvia to play with)

Where abouts in Sydney are you?

This photography thing is just a hobby and I'm still on a steep learning curve but some of my pix can be found at the link below.

Robert Teague:

Followed a link from your post to your site - and thoroughly enjoyed your work :-). Made me all misty-eyed looking at your images of Central Otago (I was born in Dunedin).

If either of you are interested in meeting up when in Sydney then drop me a note. Perhaps we could put the Melbourne LF community in the shade and organise a Sydney LF gathering or trip to the Blue Mountains etc ??

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by seabird View Post
    Robert Teague:

Followed a link from your post to your site - and thoroughly enjoyed your work :-). Made me all misty-eyed looking at your images of Central Otago (I was born in Dunedin).

If either of you are interested in meeting up when in Sydney then drop me a note. Perhaps we could put the Melbourne LF community in the shade and organise a Sydney LF gathering or trip to the Blue Mountains etc ??

Cheers
    I'd love to meet up, the more the merrier as they say. It will be a weekday that I'm in Sydney, so that might make it difficult for those who have to work. But, I'm up for some early evening stuff as well.

BTW, I've got a new blog up, http://roteague.wordpress.com/. It's got some narrative on a few of my photographs, and I plan on adding to it in the future.
    I love Central Otago myself; I've got a real good friend who lives in the area. BTW, there is a fellow up in Wanaka, Gilbert van Reenen, who has a really beautiful book on the area - although I'm not sure if he still has it available. I visited him in his gallery a few years ago.

I love NZ, but haven't been able to make it back in several years. I miss it as well ...

Quote Originally Posted by seabird View Post
    Robert Stowe:
    ...If I shoot colour then its E6 and I get it processed via Photo Reisel in Kent St who are 2mins walk from my office...
    Cheers
    Don't Foto Reisel just send film out to;

Vision Image Lab
    10 Danks Street
    Waterloo NSW 2017
    tel: (02) 9319 3300
    http://www.visionimagelab.com.au/

Check the website for prices under "Service Guide."

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Stow View Post
    Hi OldBikerPete

Thanks for your comments.

I haven't used them as yet, but hopefully they have come good again.
    Are you still processing your own colour film? Negs or transparency?

Cheers
    Yes, I process my own C-41 at home. I buy the individual (dry where possible) chemicals from Canada and mix up my own processing solutions. Overall developing cost is less than UA$0.50 per 5x4 sheet. Making the solutions is easy, you need an accurate scales (gold scales off eBay AU$20) and a pH meter (AU$70 off eBay) and a means to measure liquids fairly accurately (measuring cylinder and 10ml syringe) plus variously sized bits of glassware.

Quote Originally Posted by akalai View Post
    Don't Foto Reisel just send film out to;

Vision Image Lab
    10 Danks Street
    Waterloo NSW 2017
    tel: (02) 9319 3300
    http://www.visionimagelab.com.au/

Check the website for prices under "Service Guide."
    Thanks, yes I am aware that Vision Image Lab do the processing and Photo Reisel are just an agent. But given my office location the convenience is well worth it for me.

Cheers

Hi Steve

Thanks for the info on Freestyle. Great store!!! There goes my bank balance...
    Never heard of Arista before. What made you go for it?

Well, hope I am able to meet roteague. Would be great to organise a meet somewhere while he is out here.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nicholls View Post
    You will find Robert [roteague] excellent company so I hope you have the opportunity to catch up with him. Robert almost qualifies for temporary residence status as he visits Australia so regularly.

That is the wonderful thing about this and other photographic forum -- you can establish excellent contacts.

I get my film from Freestyle and have had zero problems. Arista Edu Ultra 200.

Steve

It would be great to organise a group meet somewhere.

Hi Robert

I am in the northern suburbs of Sydney, quite a way from the airport and pretty much removed from everything else come to think of it. Nearest beach is about an hour away, although the Hawkesbury River is quite close.
    How many days are you planning to be in Sydney?

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    Hi Robert, that would be great. I'll let you know where I'll be staying when I get all my plans firmed up. Airfare is really high this year, so haven't made hotel reservations yet. However, I generally stay near the Airport. In the past, I've always shot 35mm in Sydney, so this trip I want to do a bit of 5x4.

Be careful what Steve tells you!! He put up with me for a weeklong trip to Alice Springs; we drove by car from his home in SA. It was a great trip for me; Steve really went out of his way to make me feel at home, and to show me around a bit (although I showed him around the West MacDonnell range!!).

Glad to see you here,