Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting 220 Roll Film down to 120

ARS KC2UU

Cutting 220 Roll Film down to 120

This could be a strange question but I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for cutting 220 roll film and respooling it in 120 lengths. I recently acquired a bulk lot of VPS 220 which I am cross processing with outstanding results. But I find the 220 lengths are wasteful in my 6x17- and 6x12-cm format cameras. I normally set up to do a scene and then shoot a roll of 120 with appropriate bracketing. Then move on to another scene or a different film. So to me there is no benefit with 220 and find myself wasting film which is becoming hard to replace. So thoughts or suggestions from anyone who may have tried this would be greatly appreciated. Or perhaps someone knows of a lab that could do if for me professionally. Thanks to anyone with ideas. Bob

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Cutting 220 Roll Film down to 120

If you have some 120 backing paper and masking tape this shouldn't be a major problem. The specification for how 120 film is described at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_732

I don't know if it is worth the effort, though.

Too bad. Walmart will process 220 C-41 film as color negatives for $0.88. That's right, 88 pennies. I just picked up a roll last night. Sleeved and properly cut 6x7 negatives. The film is sent to a Fuji lab for handling. Get a 220 camera or a 220 holder for your view camera.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    If you have some 120 backing paper and masking tape this shouldn't be a major problem. The specification for how 120 film is described at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_732

I don't know if it is worth the effort, though.
    I'll check the wikipedia link and see what it says. In my 6x17 the difference between 120 and 220 is 4 or 8 frames respectively. So yes it could be worth the effort... it depends. But if I can make 150 rolls out of the 75 I have it would be worthwhile. The film was discontinued some time ago and getting scarce. My technique with 4-frames per roll is 1-scene = 1-roll with bracketing. Then I either change film for a different effect or move on to another scene. With 220 I tend to bracket a bit closer but overall the extra length is often a waste.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    Too bad. Walmart will process 220 C-41 film as color negatives for $0.88. That's right, 88 pennies. I just picked up a roll last night. Sleeved and properly cut 6x7 negatives. The film is sent to a Fuji lab for handling. Get a 220 camera or a 220 holder for your view camera.
    -----------------------
    Wayne: My cameras can use 120 or 220 interchangeably. That's not an issue. 220 is double the length but 120 is more efficient for the technique I use. And I'm looking to make a limited amount of film go further since it's no longer made and getting scarce......

What am I missing? 6x12 = 6 exp. on 120 and 12 exp. on 220? 6x17 is 4 and 8 correct?

Good luck rolling your own 120.

OK, I see the light. I don't get it, but it must for you.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Seems like a lot of effort. Buy some 120, save the 220 for projects where you can use the extra exposures.

And seriously, what's this doing in a LARGE FORMAT forum?

Terence

6x17 and 6x12 are fairly common film-back sizes on view cameras. So while the film size might not be considered LF (or borderline), the camera probably is.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by rguinter View Post
    The film was discontinued some time ago and getting scarce.
    Ahh... now I see why you want to respool from 220 to 120. If I were you I'd go to my closest pro lab and ask for some 120 spools and used but untorn backing paper. They should be able to supply you with both. Then you can basically cut the 220 in half and tape it to the backing paper and roll it onto the spool. You'll see the "tear mark" from the original film. You can always sacrifice a roll of 120 to find out the exact length and start point -- a lot cheaper and easier than tracking down the ISO standard.

p.s. I, too use 120 film on LF cameras!

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Ahh... now I see why you want to respool from 220 to 120. If I were you I'd go to my closest pro lab and ask for some 120 spools and used but untorn backing paper. They should be able to supply you with both. Then you can basically cut the 220 in half and tape it to the backing paper and roll it onto the spool. You'll see the "tear mark" from the original film. You can always sacrifice a roll of 120 to find out the exact length and start point -- a lot cheaper and easier than tracking down the ISO standard.

p.s. I, too use 120 film on LF cameras!
    ---------------------------
    Brian: Thanks for reading my mind and understanding my question. The technique you suggest is exactly what I was thinking. But I have no obvious source for the materials... nor the experience with re-spooling film. Although it sounds easy I would have trouble doing it without a darkroom anyway. But I'll ask a couple of pro labs for their thoughts on what you suggest. Maybe one of them could assign a technician to do it for me for a price. The result could be getting 200 rolls from the 100 I have with less wasted film over the 5 or so years that I might continue using it. Cheers. Bob