Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: show off your home made shutters

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

show off your home made shutters

Hello,,

Well, as you may know I have a couple new "faster" barrel lenses.. I need ideas on how to get a shutter that will give me fast shutter speeds..

I have an old barndoor shutter without a plunger but the mechanism works without a hose and bulb provided I manually work the lever... Can or does anyone use such a shutter on the front of the lenses as apposed to the intended rear ... ??

I made some waterhouse stops to stop them down since they have the slots but I wanna shoot wide open...

Thank you
    Steve

PS... feel free to post pics of your creations!

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: show off your home made shutters

Steve, here is the idea that I came up with. It is a front mounted Packard and I built a filter slot in it so one can use the Lee 100mm filters. I built a lens shade/barn door for the front also but I do not have pictures of that. Works like a charm.
    Two of the pictures show it mounted to the barrel lens on the 8x20.

Jim

Waaay back 2 years ago I did this to make use of a broken shutter that I now can't remember how I acquired!

I don't have that camera any more, but I still have the shutter and lens (they don't fit on my 5x4 though). Basically I cut off the original motor piece (see the two holes on the left) and attached a spring to snap the shutter open and closed. It uses a long-throw release cable to push open the shutter, and closes by tension. It works and it's ugly from the back.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=23098 shows a whole thread of how I front-mounted lenses in front of a packard shutter with the cheapest possible tools.

Waaay back 2 years ago I did this to make use of a broken shutter that I now can't remember how I acquired!

I don't have that camera any more, but I still have the shutter and lens (they don't fit on my 5x4 though). Basically I cut off the original motor piece (see the two holes on the left) and attached a spring to snap the shutter open and closed. It uses a long-throw release cable to push open the shutter, and closes by tension. It works and it's ugly from the back.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=23098 shows a whole thread of how I front-mounted lenses in front of a packard shutter with the cheapest possible tools.

This kind of shutter was very popular in France in the XIX-st century... and still is for pinhole photography with a touch of French style
    http://www.chapellerie-traclet.com/h...eret-black.jpg

3d Visual Effects artist

I guess this would be considered home made, just rubber banded to the front of my Betax #5. I've posted it here before

Here it is in "action", two 1/50th shutter clicks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke9zehk2sfw

It's not the prettiest (or the sturdiest) mount in the world, but it does seem to work pretty good for trying out smaller lenses without spending much money/time making a better mount each time.

Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Sorry, mods can you remove my double post please?

Ash,

I did something similar with a motor driven 6x6 Packard, but added a PC sync.

On the back I used a Cokin bracket so I can front mount it on multiple lenses. Mostly for barrel lenses for 8x10.

Kirk

Anybody ever used a shutter of a graphic arts camera? I am going to strip all the usable bits (lenses, bellows, vacuum pump, lights) next week out of a huge (22x26) horizontal graphic arts camera before it goes to the dump, and noticed that the camera included a pretty big AC powered solenoid shutter with controller. While it was designed for exposures ranging in seconds to minutes, it seems to have pretty short times too. I am not exactly sure how I am going to modify it for use, anybody have any experience with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel BIGLER View Post
    This kind of shutter was very popular in France in the XIX-st century... and still is for pinhole photography with a touch of French style
    http://www.chapellerie-traclet.com/h...eret-black.jpg
    LOL. Worth clicking on the link!