Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front swing modification for Pacemaker Graphic

Re: Front swing modification for Pacemaker Graphic

Hi Brian,

I read the same article years ago and you're right, it's a very straightforward operation albeit, a delicate one. The idea is to gently round off the 4 outside corners of the two tabs that clamp the front standard to the rail.

A couple of suggestions before you proceed. To determine how much metal to grind off the corners I cut 4 rectangular pieces from typical picture framing matboard (which luckily has the same thickness as the metal plates from the front standard. They were cut to match the same footprint as the two combined plates. I then cut different sized radius corners (an Xacto knife works fine for this) on each of the 4 'matboard plates'. Going from a very slightly rounded edge to a more dramatic radius. You can then take these sample plates and slide them into the rails, moving them with your fingers to see which one gives you the movement required, but not so rounded that the plate becomes sloppy in the tracks (or if the corners are rounded too much, the plate can easily becomes dislodged from tracking between the rails).

I think you'll find that it takes very little rounding of the corners to give you the swing movement you're after. I'd also suggest removing the front standard from the bellows (it's attached with 4 screws) - this gives you much more flexibility in handling the standard as you grind the plates. A slender grinding bit for a Dremel makes the perfect tool for this grinding operation.

Also know that if you mount the front standard in reverse, this gives you front tilt instead of rear tilt which makes the camera much more useful in my opinion. The locking finger tab can also be reversed so that it still faces forward.

good luck with the modification,

Mark

As a followup to this discussion, I've found the information I was looking for. There are several articles in older issues of View Camera:

Jan/Feb 2005 and Mar/Apr 2005 have articles by Gordon Osmundson generally describing the history of Graflex and Graphic cameras, lenses that can be used on them, and their strengths and limitations.

May/Jun 2005 had an article by John Blackford outlining the information I was looking for--a relatively simple modification that allows shift movements for Pacemaker Graphics. John didn't state and I have no way to determine if this modification might also work with Anniversary or earlier Graphics.

In May/June 2006, David Keil described a procedure to increase the amount of front tilt for Graphics.

The modifications appear to be ones that a careful worker with a hand grinder could manage with limited risk to the equipment. Mark's ideas for a template should reduce the guesswork of how much material to remove from the corners of the clamping plates and his suggestion for minimal reduction seems in concert with John Blackford's images of the finished modification.

Quote Originally Posted by bbjorkum View Post
    This site should solve it for you:
    http://www.johndesq.com/graflex/index.html

John is a very nice fellow and should be able to advise you.

Bjarte
    More specifically: http://www.johndesq.com/graflex/swingmod.htm

I LOVE my Crowns (hate my Super) -- they were (and are) darn near perfect for their job. I see no reason to butcher them for such a minimally useful feature.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I LOVE my Crowns (hate my Super) -- they were (and are) darn near perfect for their job. I see no reason to butcher them for such a minimally useful feature.
    The world's a funny place, one person's minimally useful feature is another person's must-have.

Let me know if you need a nice home for the Super, I'm tired of holding my Crown sideways.