Thread: Rodenstock Sironar S and Sinar Sinaron S - confused!

Rodenstock Sironar S and Sinar Sinaron S - confused!

Can someone help me out here please?
    Is the Sinaron S equivalent to the Sironar N or Sironar S please (I suspect the answer is the N with a Sinaron SE equivalent to the S, but not at all sure)?
    I have been trying a Rodenstock 135mm Sironar N on a 4x5 and got vignetting on my first two shots - presumably because I used the rise too much (more than 28mm apparently).
    I have the opportunity to change the lens for either a Sinar 150mm Sironar S or a Schneider Apo Symmar 150mm.
    The 150mm instead of a 135mm is fine by me, and not the question, but will I get quite a bit more movement with either of these 150mm lenses, and which is lighter (I backpack) and generally a better option?
    The Apo Symmar is the least expensive, with the Sironar S in the middle and the 135 Sironar N was the most expensive. All are similar very good condition so I understand.
    There isn't a Sinaron SE available.
    Thanks for any advice.

Re: Rodenstock Sironar S and Sinar Sinaron S - confused!

Quote Originally Posted by newmoon2night View Post
    (I suspect the answer is the N with a Sinaron SE equivalent to the S, but not at all sure)
    Correct!

See the table on the front page of this site for movement data:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s/LF4x5in.html

Thanks Ron.
    I never knew that table existed! Come to that I hadn't realised there were all the reviews and other really useful looking stuff on the home page either. I've always been going straight to the forum! Now I know what I've been missing.
    Looking at the table the difference between the 135mm Sironar N and the 150mm Sironar N isn't that great either - maybe 8mm more rise available in landscape.
    The 150mm Sironar S is the best bet giving nearly 19mm more rise (but one of these isn't available!), with the 150mm Apo Symmar next best giving 12mm more rise. Weight wise not a lot to choose between the 150mm Apo Symmar and Sironar.
    Presumably image quality wise there isn't anything to choose between them either?

28 mm rise off axis is a lot. I used to use a Nikon 150mm SW when large shifts were needed. Always found it a high quality lens for scientific applications. Has a 400mm +/_ IC. but may be hard to locate a pristine example now.

Nate Potter, Boston MA.

If you need a lot of coverage another option is a 150 G-Claron. Stopped down they cover 5x7 Ok. Very small and light. Fairly inexpensive. But only single coated and f9.