Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Platinum - Palladium - where to start

Platinum - Palladium - where to start

Hello,

so - in a weak moment I have just ordered the book from Dick "Platinum and Palladium printing" where I guess I should find everything I need to know to try it out. I would like to try some 4x5 prints as that is the largest camera I have and it will probably be also good size for starting. Should I really like the process I may even consider a larger camera later, but that is not what I would like to discuss here now (my wife is sitting next to me as I write ).

The true reason for me to try the technique is mostly driven by curiosity, but I also realized that I would like to challenge myself in the way of choosing the subject and the composition. Most of my photos up to now seem to be still too "full" - even those "moody" ones. Concentrating on a smaller print size (although there are clearly simpler ways than Pt/Pd 4x5 contacts) which requires clear and simple composition.

One of my first questions would be - where to get the necessary chemicals and tools. I am located in Germany so I would preferably buy in EU to save on the taxes and shipping costs and all the problems sometimes involved with shipping overseas.

For the technical side - up to now I used mostly FP4+ and TMY developed in Pyrocat HD (I do realize that I will need different exposure and development times with Pt/Pd) and would probably like to stay with this developer (should be suitable according to what I read on the topic)

I have to admit that in spite of working in physics, I am a bit scared by the stuff about the CI and density curves etc. - gives an impression that without densitometer and numerous tests you just can not get properly developed negative ...

As I am really at the beginning here - any advices or comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Matus

Re: Platinum - Palladium - where to start

Finding a source for chems and paper is your first concern... after learning what you need. Hopefully someone from Europe will jump in and offer advice.

Curiosity is a good attitude to go in with because the look and feel of pt/pd prints is different and will change what and how you see photography. Pyro is the developer of choice for a lot of photographers as you have already determined, and the density difference between a negative for silver vs platinum is less when using pyro due to the warm stain acting as density to pt/pd.

There are a lot of papers that work a little bit but it is really hard to get paper dialed in and working well. Start with one of the papers that a lot of people use, like Arches Platine. You don't need to invest in Platinum at first but understand that it has a different look to it than Palladium. Platinum added to the mix will add punch and density to the blacks and cool the print color some. Palladium is more velvety and soft, which is a good thing if you work with it. Palladium has less problems with paper compatibility and greater smoothness than Platinum... in my experience.

There are a lot of theories about coating paper. My personal findings are that hake brushes and foam brushes soak up too much of your mix. And I don't like the puddle pusher because I make a mess with it. My favorite and the brush I always suggest is a synthetic sable brush made for water color... a wash brush. For 4x5 an inch wide is wide enough. I use a deVinci but there are many others that work well. Water color wash brush. Synthetic Sable.

You need a light source. The sun if it is shining. A incandescent sun lamp for UV curing or suntanning. Florescent bulbs with high UV output. Black lights. Lots to choose from. I went to a lighting store and bought a bunch of 2 foot long florescent fixtures with built in ballast and bought BLB rated bulbs to fit them and screwed them down side by side.... works great.

Vanannan

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    Hello,

so - in a weak moment I have just ordered the book from Dick "Platinum and Palladium printing" where I guess I should find everything I need to know to try it out. I would like to try some 4x5 prints as that is the largest camera I have and it will probably be also good size for starting. Should I really like the process I may even consider a larger camera later, but that is not what I would like to discuss here now (my wife is sitting next to me as I write ).

The true reason for me to try the technique is mostly driven by curiosity, but I also realized that I would like to challenge myself in the way of choosing the subject and the composition. Most of my photos up to now seem to be still too "full" - even those "moody" ones. Concentrating on a smaller print size (although there are clearly simpler ways than Pt/Pd 4x5 contacts) which requires clear and simple composition.

One of my first questions would be - where to get the necessary chemicals and tools. I am located in Germany so I would preferably buy in EU to save on the taxes and shipping costs and all the problems sometimes involved with shipping overseas.

For the technical side - up to now I used mostly FP4+ and TMY developed in Pyrocat HD (I do realize that I will need different exposure and development times with Pt/Pd) and would probably like to stay with this developer (should be suitable according to what I read on the topic)

I have to admit that in spite of working in physics, I am a bit scared by the stuff about the CI and density curves etc. - gives an impression that without densitometer and numerous tests you just can not get properly developed negative ...

As I am really at the beginning here - any advices or comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi
    http://www.silverprint.co.uk/, they are in London and should be able to supply everything you require, with the exchange rate as it is you should get a good deal.

Good luck

- Dennis -

thank you for your tips. Indeed it seems that platinum is quite a bit more expensive than the palladium, so it makes sense to start with palladium only

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lakin View Post
    Hi
    http://www.silverprint.co.uk/, they are in London and should be able to supply everything you require, with the exchange rate as it is you should get a good deal.

Good luck
    unfortunately they do not seem to offer neither the kits nor the platinum/palladium components ... ... but I may try to contact them to see whether they would be able to offer it.
    Matus

Between here and there

Try this: http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/ - here you are able to get anything you need. Wolfgang is a great fellow.

Vanannan

- Dennis -

thank you for your tips. Indeed it seems that platinum is quite a bit more expensive than the palladium, so it makes sense to start with palladium only

unfortunately they do not seem to offer neither the kits nor the platinum/palladium components ... ... but I may try to contact them to see whether they would be able to offer it.
    Hi Mateus
    Sorry if i misled you, last time I looked in the Silverprint catalogue they did have the Platinum/Palladium compounds listed however they were very expensive in £ Sterling I purchased my last Ammonium Tetrachloroplatinate (II) from Artcraft in the U.S. as they were a lot cheaper (where I live we are never asked to pay any duty so there is no hassle) everything you require will be much cheaper from the U.S.
    Good luck

- Dennis -

If you've got the latest edition of Arentz's book, it will give you information on the NA2 method, which uses only very small quantities of a very dilute Pt solution, for contrast control. I was taught this method, which is really quite manageable technically, and more reasonable financially. Good luck.

- Jimi -
    thanks - it seems I should be able to get the necessary stuff there.

- Tony -
    no need to apologize. I would buy in the US, but as I moved to Muesnter, the duty office here makes me crazy. Not that I payed taxes on EVERYTHING I bought outside the EU (a lot of photo stuff before our trip to New Zealand), but they even required a proof of the value - I basically had to bring print-outs from may PayPal account. In some case the tax together with shipping cost equalled the value of the product

- hmf -

yes - it should be the second edition. Saving (later) the Pt makes a lot of sense - it is quite a bit more expensive than the Pd (220 euro versus 80 for the same amount).
    Matus

Have you tried other hand-coated processes before? If not, it might be wise to try a few Van Dyke prints (which look similar to Palladium prints and require a negative with somewhat similar characteristics) or something else relatively inexpensive (such as cyanotypes, which are easy and cheap) just to get the hang of coating the paper, exposing, etc.

Best of luck with your endeavor! Please post some shots, too.

No, actually not. I have done some contact printing with mixed success on some older fixed greade fiber paper, but it was a lot of fun. I will check the cyanotypes - I have of course heard about it, but do not know too much details yet.

I plan to shoot some studio shots for this purpose. Only recently I tried my studio flash with 4x5 for the first time and I quite enjoyed it and the results were quite fine too ...
    Matus