Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark cloth alternative

Dark cloth alternative

Hi

I'm currently using a black shirt as a dark cloth for composing and focusing on the ground glass, and whilst it does the job ok, it can be a little awkward.

I was looking into alternatives, such as those folding focusing hoods, or those right-angle reflex viewing boxes.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm using a 58XL most of the time which isnt the brightest of lenses to focus on the ground glass. Im on a Cambo so anything with a vaguely standard fitting should work??

Thanks in advance

Re: Dark cloth alternative

I've used two folding focusing hoods, a Linhof and an Ebony. Neither worked very well. The Linhof has fabric sides so if you try to press your against it to keep out the light it collapses. You can hold it open with one hand but that leaves only one other hand to do everything else. It's a very good ground glass protector, though some might think $500 for a ground glass protector is a little steep. The problem with the Ebony IIRC was that with shorter focal length lenses you couldn't see the entire image at once, you had to move your head around to see different parts. Mine was the version made by Robert White, not the one made by Ebony, so maybe the latter is better. Even if either would fit your Cambo, which they probably wouldn't, I wouldn't recommend them.

I've always liked the BTZS hoods sold by The View Camera Store. They're light, fold up small, and do a good job of keeping the light out. Much better IMHO than a traditional horse blanket type.

I've used
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I use a gigantic scarf I got at H&M. It's very wide and long, but thin and light. It's a bit over the top as a scarf, but it's one of the most useful camera accessories ever!

I use it as a dark cloth, but because it's so soft, I also use it to wrap cameras / lenses when traveling. So it does double duty!

Talking Re: Dark cloth alternative

A Christmas present from my maiden aunt.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

A Hybrid Blackjacket is the best I have used. I'm on my second one, the first was for a 4X5 and and now I'm using one on a 5X8. I recommend them highly. A review is posted on the homepage.

I like the flip up hood on my speed graphic. I'd put it on any camera. I used to have a hoodman hood for my DSLR for similar result.

A folding cardboard box of the same shape cut on one end to contour the face will work well too. I do that occassionally on my CRT screen RF spectrum analyzer when it has to be used outdoors.

I always liked a black shirt or sweater best myself with the exception of a reflex viewer on my Arca Swiss. That was better than any dark cloth.

I used to have a flip up hood similar to that on the Graphics on my Shen-Hao. It was useless in any bright light. I've found the BTSZ hood to be the most functional of everything I've tried.

- Dan.

Octogenarian

Cambo makes an excellent monocular reflex viewer that can be mounted directly to the ground glass frame of your camera.

It's made out of lightweight plastic, has a built-in magnifier, and can be turned vertically or horizontally.

New ones from Calumet are spendy. However, used ones show up once and a while.

It is really difficult to beat a 3x or so heavy black t-shirt. The neck fits around my view camera very well and stays put. Not too hot compared to some commercial darkcloths. And to top it off, after a hard hike out of the shooting location, you can put the shirt on to replace your own dripping wet shirt!