Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: B&H - So much smarter than Photog's Formulary (NOT!)

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: B&H - So much smarter than Photog's Formulary (NOT!)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Buck View Post
    could very well be that the person putting the images into the website isn't even a writer or web guy, it may be an intern (unpaid, or little paid), since it's a fairly remedial task.
    It was an ADVERTISMENT, folks... not an INSTRUCTION MANUAL.

The intention was to look good, not to look correct.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post

So it's OK if an illustration is inaccurate and deceptive -- making it look good is paramount?

could very well be that the person putting the images into the website isn't even a writer or web guy, it may be an intern (unpaid, or little paid), since it's a fairly remedial task.
    When you have a catalog and a web site the size of theirs it is not a remedial task. It is quite a large undertaking and for many people it would be quite onerous. The people that run it are not interns at all.

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post

I work in advertising (national commercials), interns fairly often will get to do artist work, that's how they learn

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    When you have a catalog and a web site the size of theirs it is not a remedial task. It is quite a large undertaking and for many people it would be quite onerous. The people that run it are not interns at all.
    was just a guess on my part
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Quote Originally Posted by William McEwen View Post
    So it's OK if an illustration is inaccurate and deceptive -- making it look good is paramount?
    The way in which the product was "being used" in the ad was inaccurate, but what was "deceptive" about it?

I work in advertising (national commercials), interns fairly often will get to do artist work, that's how they learn
    I actually encourage the use of interns; I was an intern at one time too and appreciate the opportunities I was given to learn! (I do not work in advertizing of any type.)

My point is not about who made the "mistake". Interns should be supervised so bad mistakes don't get off of their desks. My point was that artistic license is OK for ads but not for instruction manuals... and that was an ad not an instruction manual.

Possible, but it happens not to be so. Our web image team is staffed by full-time employees who generally know their way around the website and (since several are former sales associates) know the merchandise too.

Quote Originally Posted by William McEwen View Post
    Inaccurate, perhaps. Misleading, possibly. Unfortunate, certainly. Corrected, definitely.
    Deceptive -- NOT AT ALL.

Everybody makes mistakes. There's no reason to think this was deceptive. If anything, it'd cause problems for BH with returns. It is funny, though
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Michael Alpert

Since last Friday, I've been on an island off the coast of northeastern Canada. I've enjoyed the lack of cell-phone or Internet availability. And I've enjoyed an incredibly wonderful landscape, with high cliffs, little fishing towns in the coves, and welcoming people. My remark on unconscious anti-Semitism was not meant to accuse anyone of being a monster. I used the word "unconscious" deliberately; on the Internet we are all expressing our biases as we are sharing technical and other information. Unconscious anti-Semitism is a half-hidden factor in contemporary life that sometimes leads to odd humor and sometimes to pigeonholing. The recent fire-storm of responses to my modest post seems overly defensive from my point of view, but we all have a lot to learn. I certainly do. My correction of typographical errors was out of line (people should not be publicly chastised for being somewhat less than perfect, which I hope is what the original contributor to this thread has learned); I apologize for my lapse in judgment.

It is fixed, nice gray photoshopped square.

Tom