Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tuesday's disaster

Tuesday's disaster

It was 7:00 in the morning here on the west coast when my mother called me from Germany. She didn't leave a message on the answering machine and when I tried to call her back I got a message from AT&T saying all lines to Germany were busy. That worried me and I turned on the computer to check the news on the internet (we don't have TV). I couldn't believe what I read. It seemed like WWIII had started! During the day I could reach my friends over in Germany and they were also in shock. USA and especially New York are still symbols of freedom and a very popular spot for vacation. My close friends have all been to the visitor platform of the WTC and can't believe that these buildings are gone now. The government and mayor companies observed minutes of silence yesterday morning to show their sympathy for victims and survivors.

When I dropped by at the local 2nd hand bookstore on Tuesday browsing the books about photography, I noticed a pristine copy of Jon Ortner?s excellent ?Manhattan Dawn and Dusk? which hadn?t been there before. On the cover the skyline in twilight with the WTC double towers as the most prominent feature. I?ve never been to NYC and bought the book to always remember this tragic event.

Let?s hope the world will come closer together after this disaster. That would five the death of the victims some meaning.

Ralf Hoenes, Sausalito, California.

Tuesday's disaster

Just checking in from New York to say that my wife and I are safe and to express thanks from one city dwller for the sentiments here. I've been following events since the beginning, and it's been an incredible time. Outside the immediate area of the explosions, the city has been functioning remarkably well, but no one can think for very long about other things.

Tuesday's disaster

I was very surprised to hear on the news yesterday, that many many Brit's, as well as many other nationals are missing as well. This tragedy was something that touched not only America, but the whole world. I can't thank you as a NY'er, but as an American we really appreciate your thoughts and prayers, and for those other countries that have suffered loss, please accept our deepest sympathies.

Tuesday's disaster

To add to Wayne's response.

As far as I'm concerned, no matter where you originally came from, when you're in America, you're an American. I too want to express my gratitude to all the heart felt reponses.

Tuesday's disaster

My deepest sympathy to our American friends for the terrible events of September 11, 2001. We in Canada feel your pain and hope with you that from this tragegy will emerge a better, safer world. The graphic media brought these events to the homes of millions of people around the world with the stark reality that defies abstraction. Horrible as that was, it brought the human family closer to you and your suffering. People everywhere lost something in the process though never quite in the same measure as the victims and their families. To them and all Americans go my sincere condolences and prayers. To Mr. Chen, best wishes for a quick recovery.

Tuesday's disaster

Wishing you a speedy recovery Geoffrey. And everyone in the world whether in Indonesia, Macedonia, Britain, or Samoa, is affected by this. This has got to stop if we as a people are to survive. As horrid as this dispicable act was, these terrorists died for their cause. They didn't do it for money. It was based on strong beliefs. We need to look at both sides of the reasons they gave their lives. Please don't misinterpret my views here. I am absolutely disgusted by the terrorists actions and would gladly take them out given the chance. But there is an underlying problem here that must be solved if we are to evolve into what we are capable of being in the future as the dominant species on the planet. My deepest sympathies for all of those people affected. We unfortunately haven't seen the last of this episode in our story. May God help us. James

Tuesday's disaster

Thank you all, my dear friends on this forum. And thank you all to those who took time to email me to express your concerns and best wishes. I'm doing OK, can see the light now, but images are stil fuzzy, need another week or so. I own my life to those firefighters, EMS rescue workers, and police officers who saved me. We know many of them did not make it themselves. There are more than 300+ of them died on duty in the Tuesday's attack and still buried in the rubble. So I'm asking you to make a donation to the following funds/foundations:

1. Please write a check to The September 11 Foundation; The Widow's and Children's Fund for Fire Department of New York City; The Widow's and Children's Fund for Police Department of New York City.

2. Please call in with your credit card number: FireFighters, Police, EMS, and Rescue Relief Fund Phone: 877-863-4783, 253-274-0432 Fax: 253-274-0309

If you have a check and don't know where to send, you can mail it to me and I will have it delivered to the proper personnel. Any donation is much appreciated. Thank you so very much!

Tuesday's disaster

I speak to you not as a 8X10 photographer, but as an active duty serviceman who just happens to shoot LF in my spare time. We will prevail! Dave