Thread: Delta Bes-Align 4x4" Adjustable Lens Board

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Delta Bes-Align 4x4" Adjustable Lens Board

Anyone ever used this board to align the lens stage? Does it work? What are the pros and cons?

I got tired of using practically all my strength on the locking screws on the new Beseler lens boards only to tweak the lens stage into a hair's breath of the alignment hole on the laser. So I just ordered one from B&H but not after searching all the forums first to see if my $29 would be well spent. Didn't find any postings on it so I "rolled the dice."

Re: Delta Bes-Align 4x4" Adjustable Lens Board

Yes, I have two and they are wonderful. You got three screws that are adjusted to get the lens parallel with your baseboard/easel. Pro - They allow you absolute precision for lens alignment. Cons - Once you align your lens to the baseboard you will soon discover that all your easels are not flat and are now out of alignment, each differently. I trashed all my easels and bought one big one with adjustable blades. It is basically permantly mounted to my baseboard. And my lenses are adjusted to it. I used the versalab laser to calibrate everything so I am pretty damn sure everything is right on.

I had the same experience as Alan. It's the mostly unknown piece of the "quality puzzle" for enlargers. Enjoy!

Mike

I don't have one, but I want one. The problem is that they only make 39mm versions and none with 50 mm openings for larger lenses. I emailed the company that makes them some time ago. I received a quick reply re: the 50 mm opening but he has not gotten back to me lately.

Except for the larger lens, that's good news. Thanks guys.

Except for the lens stage, everything is dead level on my enlarger. With a torpedo level placed in 6 locations on the baseboard, my baseboard was slightly off on one corner but a small square salvaged from a mat board put the bubble in the center (I have the enlarger mounted on a Beseler Adjus-table and that one corner wasn't quite flush.). The 11x14 easel (Saunders VT1400) is level. The negative stage is level. But I couldn't get the lens stage to fall into the lasers bullseye. I remembered reading on posts that some use cardboard to shim the lens stage into place but I couldn't find a way of doing that with my MXT last night and decided to check into the adjustable board this morning. The Laser people say that 1/16" out is still sharp and last night it looked about that along the front to rear line so I readjusted the front to rear alignment until the laser dot fell into the bullseye. In other words, I threw the negative stage out of alignment to align the lens stage. Probably didn't gain anything doing that

Except for a 180mm Schneider Componon-S, all my lens are Nikkors and use a 39mm Leica retaining ring. The Schneider is an extremely sharp lens - maybe sharper than the 150mm Nikkor. Does anyone have any ideas on aligning the lens stage on the MXT about 1/16" on the front to rear line?

Anyone think of making one? Two pieces of aluminum, foam for the seal and three bolts with nuts. I was and will be making one for a new enlarger I have been getting ready.

I use the 150mm El Nikkor too and I also have a 180mm Schneider Componon-S but have never used it. This is for 4x5 on a Beseler. I have 50mm, 75mm, and 105mm Nikon's and some Schneider's also, it's best to concentrate on just a the ones that you are familiar with and perform to your satisfaction. I'm going to use a 240mm and a 300mm on the new enlarger. It often takes trying several out in the beginning but narrow it down.

The adjustable lens board is a good way to go but any change in the head height on a Beseler can throw off alignment, they are only so good and wear with time.

Quote Originally Posted by Turner Reich View Post
    Anyone think of making one? Two pieces of aluminum, foam for the seal and three bolts with nuts. I was and will be making one for a new enlarger I have been getting ready. .
    While you are at it, could you make 2 of them for me in the 50 mm size? I would be willing to pay a fair price.

If the Delta board works, I'm thinking of bringing the Beseler board for the 180mm Componon-S to a machine shop to have the alignment screws installed.