Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ken Hough Experience

Re: Ken Hough Experience

I've been told by a LF user who lived near him, that Ken Hough is a very sick man with severe asthma. That does not excuse his actions regarding his customers, but I understand that he barely makes it from day to day.
    This is not an apology for his behaviour, but I thought the information should be added.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    The word has five letters and starts with "f" and there is no excuse for it.
    I don't know this word...focus, fixed??? If it's the word I'm thinking of it has six letters.

Sorry in advance for being a smart asss.

He seemed very nice in my conversations with him, and if he is ill I am genuinely sorry to hear it. If this is the case: (1) Refund the money and send the cameras back that you can't get to; (2) Stop taking new work that you know you can't handle and finish off what you can get done, then take on new work at whatever pace is appropriate so that your estimates of completion dates are not years off; (3) Teach somebody to work with you so that demand can be met and you don't have to sand and spray lacquer when you've got asthma.

In my case, I found the negative Internet comments on him just days after I had spoken with him by phone and shipped the camera off. (1999-2000) I really, really hoped he had turned the corner as some suggested. As bad as my experience was, it was nothing compared to the stories I heard from people who contacted me after I publicly complained.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    It sounds like a one man show or extremely desirable custom work. I once ordered a custom item (not a camera) from a famous shop, who promised 2 years to delivery. It took 5. Nothing would get it faster, and I just waited. Loved the item eventually, but I'd gotten a lot older.
    This has been my experience on ordering custom-made items as well. Must be nice to be able to run things that way, I guess.

Ken finally contacted me and gave me a tracking number. No way to tell from the number if it is enroute to me or just a package going to who knows where. His latest excuse is his wife has stage 4 ovarian cancer and has been away in Chaicago for treatment for the last 1.5 weeks. Pardon my lack of empathy but I've been told way too many stories and lies to believe anything other than having my refurbished camera in my hot little hands. Not withstanding that, my un-repaired camera and lenses along with my money.

No other way to describe his business practices as nothing more than a Ponzi scheme. It's just like Bernie Madoff albeit not in the scale of billions of dollars though I think Ken would love to run a Ponzi deal that would put Bernie to shame

let us know if/when it shows.

so let me get this right....not refurbished yet!?!!?
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I have been dealing with Ken for a few years, but strictly for parts. All of my dealings have been positive...money sent...parts shipped. I have spoken to him a few times on the phone and he was great. E-mails were answered on technical questions in a timely manner. Sorry to hear about the bad experiences. I guess I have been lucky in my dealings with him.

Kevin

Alex
    What was the problem with the camera?
    I work on then all the time. Currently I do weight lifting with two 11 x 14 Deardorffs I am working on.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I've been told by a LF user who lived near him, that Ken Hough is a very sick man with severe asthma. That does not excuse his actions regarding his customers, but I understand that he barely makes it from day to day.
    This is not an apology for his behaviour, but I thought the information should be added.
    Maybe he has red hair, maybe he drives a Chevrolet, maybe he likes his eggs over easy. I don't see that asthma is any more relevant than those things when it comes to telling someone repairs are done and the camera is ready to be shipped, asking for and getting more money, then not shipping for months and month, years in some cases.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Once you start telling lies, that is the camera is ready and is not, so the end result is shipment after month or even years, you have lost it.
    Waiting for parts can take a very long time at times esp with older equipment, but tell your customers about it !
    This is a bad attitude towards your customers and is not acceptable.

I have been into repairs for about 30 years in Holland and never had these problems, even in the very busy times just before the hollidays.
    Nowadays I just do things for my self only.
    I got one project waiting for me for a couple of years to be done, but that is for myself.

Peter