Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Kansas City

Hello from Kansas City

Hello Everyone,

I'm Dave Williams and I live in Kansas City, Missouri. I've been following this forum for a few weeks and finally got registered today. I love the photography and the wealth of information here. It has inspired me to return to large format work.

I've been a photographer most of my life and worked in 4x5 color and black and white quite a bit in the eighties while I was the staff photographer at a theological seminary here.

I started with an old Crown Graphic loaned to me by a professor who used it as a missionary in Africa in the forties. Then I picked up an old Calumet CC401 and a Caltar II E 210mm lens and have been using it since.

I went digital several years ago with a Nikon D 70, and most of what I've shot since then has been with that camera. I thought about getting back into large format several times the last few years but for some reason just didn't. But lately the urge has been stronger and I found this forum while surfing and fell back in love again.

So I'm cleaning up the old tank and getting ready to jump in again. I need to look around here and see how people are using scanners and printers, since I no longer have a wet darkroom.

I've shot architecture, advertising products, portraits, landscapes and still lifes over the years. Now my interests lie mainly in portraiture and landscape.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone and learning from the group.

Dave Williams

Smile Re: Hello from Kansas City

Hi Dave! Welcome to the forum!

Re: Hello from Kansas City

Welcome to the forum Dave. Just watch out that you don't catch GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) from reading all the posts. It's a debilitating disease.
    I've been in KC, great Ribs! Come to think of it, that should probably be your first picture post.

Welcome Dave, from just down the road in Springfield. Would you happen to know if Ben's Camera is still in business up in Riverside? Gotta make a trip up there if he is.

If you ever get down Springfield way, look me up.

Tim
    www.cameraworksassociates.com
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Hi Dave

Also down the road in Rolla, formerly of Topeka, KS and Maple Hill, KS.

You'll enjoy your time here.

Mike

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. Wayne, I just missed the local barbecue event a couple of weeks ago, but the grand daddy of all barbecue events is the American Royal this fall. Maybe then. But its hard to work a view camera with your hands dripping with sauce... I'm thinking of doing a project of photos of all the BBQ joints in KC. I'd buy that coffee table book!

Tim, I was just in Springfield two weeks ago visiting my neice. Next time...

Ben's Camera is still there, or at least a shell of its former self. IF you can find him open, there's not much there but the same old collection of dusty overpriced stuff that's been there for years. I stop by once in a while to look around, but it just depresses me.

Mike, Maple Hill - is that a town or the neighborhood in Kansas City, Kansas? I grew up on the Kansas side in Highland Crest and all my relatives are buried in the Maple Hill Cemetery.

I've looked around, but haven't seen anything to tell me how to post images here. Can anyone point me to the info?

Glad to be on board!
    Dave

Dave, use the "post reply" function, not the quick reply, then scroll down below the window to "manage attachments". From there it's pretty easy.

I remember how hard it was to find Ben's open. Glad he isn't totally gone and I wish he would allow access to the basement. Got a couple of tantalizing glimpses when he went down to find a series 9 polarizer for me a few years ago. Looks like a treasure trove of odds and ends.

I miss the era of A&J Photo down in Overland Park. Never went in there without going crazy over the antique large format offerings.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Dave,

Welcome to the forum from another Kansas City member! I am just getting into LF photography myself. The last time I worked in a darkroom was in high school in the 70's.

I sent you a PM and hopefully we can get together sometime. I have been hoping for someone to show me the ropes.

Welcome to group therepy! Love those Kansas City steak houses!!!

Thanks, Vick!

Kansas City steakhouses have fallen upon hard times lately. My favorite, the Hereford House, has a couple of new locations, but the original on Main was my favorite for the atmosphere. It burned down a couple of months ago, arson suspected. Another historic one, the Majestic Steakhouse on Broadway had been there a hundred years closed last week from lack of business. Kansas City passed a non smoking ordinance this year which hurt restaurants coupled with the opening of a new "entertainment district" downtown with crappy chain eateries. The old standbys are falling away.

Dave