Thread: Spot Tone for spotting digital prints

Spot Tone for spotting digital prints

I noticed today a small white spot on a 16x20 B&W print I made yesterday. The spot isn't a defect in the print just a speck I missed spoting in PS.

I'm printing on Ilford Gold Fibre Silk paper using an Epson 3800. I was just curious if anyone has tried spoting inkjet prints with Spot Tone. Seems like it might work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Don Bryant

Re: Spot Tone for spotting digital prints

Hi Don

I have done this on numerous occasions on different inkjet material.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    I noticed today a small white spot on a 16x20 B&W print I made yesterday. The spot isn't a defect in the print just a speck I missed spoting in PS.
    Don Bryant
    Don,
    Spot tone works all right, but it's basically a very dumb idea. You've spent a fortune using the paper and inks you do, making sure they are as archival as can be. Spottone is basically a dye.....

Better to open a cartridge of the same archival ink that's in your printer, take a little out and use the brush with that. We have also found that acrylic paints work very well, on color, of course. Haven't tried them with b&w yet. The ink is a little difficult the get the hang of... sometimes the print has a surface that wants to accept it, and sometimes not... (on occasion there are coating issues, etc.).

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Don,

I spot carbon transfer prints with tube watercolors, which are pigments dispersed in gum arabic. Probably more permanent than the pigmented inks themselves.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    Don,
    Spot tone works all right, but it's basically a very dumb idea. You've spent a fortune using the paper and inks you do, making sure they are as archival as can be. Spottone is basically a dye.....

Better to open a cartridge of the same archival ink that's in your printer, take a little out and use the brush with that. We have also found that acrylic paints work very well, on color, of course. Haven't tried them with b&w yet. The ink is a little difficult the get the hang of... sometimes the print has a surface that wants to accept it, and sometimes not... (on occasion there are coating issues, etc.).

Lenny
    Interesting thought about using ink from an inkjet cart. I thought about that and may order a bottle of ink from Inkjet Supply. Acrylic paint may be a good solution for color.

Sandy - I've got a lot of tubes of water color pigments. I'll try that out.

Bob - I'll also give Spot Tone a go. I've used it for decades and I've never seen it fade.

My first consern with any of these materials is how it will sit and appear on the print surface. Experimentation will tell.

Thanks,

DOn

I agree with lenny. I save my old ink carts and put a piece of scotch tape over the opening to keep them from drying out. Works like a charm and matches perfectly.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"