Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 150 xenotar images

Hopelessly Lost

150 xenotar images

So, I am dangerously close to buying a 150 2.8 xenotar but I want to see some images made with this lens shot wide open. Any one got any????
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.

Hopelessly Lost

Re: 150 xenotar images

Really? No one has any images they can send me shot with this lens?
    www.hollisbennett.com

Google, there was a guy who photographed his kids with one on a Technika that was popular. He also had a Leica w a Noctilux and they were very similar feeling. I had a 135/3.5 Xeno used wide open it was still sharp, just lower contrast. I took down the images from it from my site because they were mediocre images but they looked as sharp as the Symmar at the moderate sizes I make.

Just like the Aero-Ektar, actually focusing these lenses on breathing people will cost you a lot of film.
    Last edited by Frank Petronio; 28-May-2009 at 12:09.

Sorry, only some at f/8 up (if I can still identify them), where it does not look any better than a more versatile Plasmat type. Sold mine for that very reason - I never found any opportunity to shoot it wide open, as it did not clear the mirror on my LF reflexes so that it always staid home, where my studio flash rig can barely be turned down below f/11 without popping on ND filters.

Sorry Hollis,

My two favorite press camera lenses were the 150, 2.8 Xenotar and the 127 Ektar. I have shot both of them wide open with good success, but not for over 30 years.

Lynn

A quick search using Google, reveals an abundance of images made with Xenotar lenses.

I don't know how many were made with Large Format versions - but you should be able to get a basic impression.

Hopelessly Lost

yeah, the trouble with the google search is that I can't tell which ones were truly shot at 2.8. I know, the more out of focus the wider it was shot but I want specific data. No big deal though.
    www.hollisbennett.com

Hollis, if you can't find anything else these might help. Both taken with a 150 f2.8 Sonnar on 6x6, Alan at f2.8 and 1.5 meters distance, the hazel branches at f4 and roughly 2 meters distance. If you mentally expand the space around the images you'll get some feel for how tight the DOF is at this focal length and aperture. Alternatively, imagine moving in twice as close to get the same image on 4x5 and trying to focus accurately with one quarter of the DOF. Not impossible, but hard to do handheld, which is why I hunt my children with 6x6 :-)

There was thread on this Forum earlier this year with examples from f2.8 Xenotars, you need to search

Ian

If you want to use Google to search this site, you can go to Google and type in a search as follows:
    Xenotar site:largeformatphotography.info

Or just click here

Note that if you put a space after the word site:, Google will perform an ordinary search. It will ignore your request to limit the search to only this site.