Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tripod Head (Manfrotto 410 or Giottos MH3300)

Tripod Head (Manfrotto 410 or Giottos MH3300)

Trying to decide between the two heads for a wista 45SP and a Gitzo 1327 tripod. Gear head or Ball head? Thanks

Re: Tripod Head (Manfrotto 410 or Giottos MH3300)

Manfrotto 410. Used to use a ball head for MF and 4x5. Just got the 410 and it's makes a world of difference.

Ball heads are lighter and faster to get rough focus. Gear heads are more precise. If you shoot a lot of architecture, I'd get the 410. Also check out the 405. (I have the latter. It works great with a Toyo AX.)
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Octogenarian

I have used both types of tripod heads.

Found that with a ball head, it was slightly more difficult to level both the vertical and the horizontal planes at the same time. A "bulls eye" spirit level helped, but did not entirely solve the problem

The geared head allows precise leveling of one plane without loosing the setting for the other plane when using a two-way spirit level.

I replaced my Manfrotto 804RC2 head with the 410 and never looked back.
    The 410 is a joy esp with architecture and can handle a folding 4x5 with ease.
    Manfrotto states "Junior" ....... nothing small about it.

Peter

I agree with Gem. And even with the very best ball heads, which can be remarkably smooth once you're moving the camera, there is initial resistance when starting to change the camera position. This can be frustrating when you just need to nudge the camera a tiny bit. To overcome that initial resistance, one has to apply enough force that the camera often moves much farther than desired.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Ball heads drive me nuts on LF. Love ball heads for smaller formats. Don't get a ball head for LF. Too frustrating to level.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Yet another vote for the 410. It's just so easy to set up when compared with balancing a camera in three dimensions whilst locking off the head.

I'm a dyed in the wool 410 fan. Tried one of Manfrotto's ball heads (468MGRC4) for about 3 months last year because of a recommendation. Totally frustrating

You should consider entering into negotiations with the seller of the Linhof 3 way levelling head that's currently in the for sale section before parting with your cash. I was all set at one time to buy a 410 head until I saw the size of it in person...it's a pretty substantial chunk of metal and not for the faint hearted.
    The linhof head on the other hand is small, solid, light, precise, very compact, and fabulous to work with...its worth some serious consideration if your in the US/Can.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=48829