Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help ID this Field Camera...

Help ID this Field Camera...

Can anyone help me ID this wood field camera? It is wonderfully made, but has no manufacturer marking. It has a hole in the bed to keep larger lenses on when folded up, has back tilts and swings, and the bed drops. Fittings are satin brass - wood I believe is mahogany. Would love any info to help ID this camera! Thanks!

Re: Help ID this Field Camera...

It looks a lot like the Calumet Wood Field that was made for Calumet by Nagaoka back in the 1980s - not to be confused with the Calumet Wood Field XM that was made by Tachihara.

Kerry

Octogenarian

It's not a Wisner. However, Wisner cameras seem to have many of the same design features. Could have been a role model for Ron Wisner's design.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    It's not a Wisner. However, Wisner cameras seem to have many of the same design features. Could have been a role model for Ron Wisner's design.
    It's hard to judge scale in the photos, but that camera is nothing like a Wisner. That version of the Nagaoka/Calumet weighs about 2.5 lbs. and is a double extension model with about 12" maximum extension and folds up very compactly. Wisner's first model was called the convertible classic. It was based on the old tailboard cameras like the Korona and Kodak 2D - only heavier. Wisner's first "clamshell" design the Traditional was a 6 lb. triple extension model that had 20.5" of extension and a much bulkier folded size than the camera shown.

The movements are also different. The camera shown has no front shift and a strangely implements front swing. The Wisner had front shift and a more conventional front swing. The camera shown has no rear movements other than base tilt. The Wisner Traditional has rear swing, the later Technical model also added rear rise and geared rear axis tilt.

The Wisner also had interchangeable bellows. The model shown has a fixed bellows that is glued to the front and rear standards.

In terms of weight, size and movements, the camera shown and the Wisner are at opposite ends of the 4x5 wooden field camera spectrum.

Back in the late 1980s when both were available, they were also at opposite ends of the price spectrum. I'd have to dig out my old Calumet catalogs, but I believe the Calumet Woodfield at that time was priced at $375.00. The Wisner Traditional was $1250.00 (later increasing to $1495.00).

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry L. Thalmann View Post
    It looks a lot like the Calumet Wood Field that was made for Calumet by Nagaoka back in the 1980s - not to be confused with the Calumet Wood Field XM that was made by Tachihara.

Kerry
    Thank you Kerry - you nailed it. I looked in some older catalogs and it is indeed the Calumet/Nagaoka. It is incredibly lightweight and very nicely made.

Thank you everyone for help with this!

Octogenarian

Kerry,

Varnished mahogany, large knurled knobs, polished brass metal, same type of locking clasp on top as Wisner used, similar looking handle, etc.,etc.

Of course I realize it's not exactly the same as a Wisner. I said it was not a Wisner, but Ron certainly could have incorporated some of it's design features into the cameras that he designed.

There's nothing unusual about that (Chamonix-Phillips, for example).

Gem,

I've owned both a Nagaoka and a Wisner (at the same time, no less) and they are VERY different cameras. I know it's hard to tell these things from the photos, but the Nagaoka/Calumet is made from cherry, not mahogany. The hardware is brass plated (or nickel plated, or even painted) steel. It's not real brass like the Wisner. The knobs on the Nagaoka are actually very small. I think they look big in the photos, just because the camera is so small. If you set the folded Nagaoka next to a folded Wisner, most people would have a hard time believing they are the same format. The folded Nagaoka is that much smaller than than the Wisner.

When I owned mine, the Nagaoka was my backpacking camera and the Wisner was for working closer to the car.

The Nagaoka is derived from the many pre-WWII Japanese glass plate cameras, everything from the hardware to the hole in the bed to the ultralight weight and very compact folded size. The Wisner has much more in common (large, triple extension camera, similar movements) with the American Deardorff.

Kerry

I have the same one. The lens board is different size , can't fit Linhof or Wisner type. I have to make from hard wood floor. You live in North Vancouver?

Some of this camera looks exactly like parts of the Woodman 4x5 wooden field that I own (made by Horseman). The back is identical, down to the swing, tilt, knobs, hardware, and clip. The leaf-spring Graflok back on the Woodman appears to be missing here.

The front standard is quite different, with fewer features. There is no shift and the swings are done differently. Also, the Woodman has a rear-focusing knob. The camera looks like a stripped-down version of the Woodman made for white branding (maybe Calumet).

Kerry, do you know if Calumet contracted with Horseman for any of their wooden field cameras?

Best,

Doremus Scudder

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry L. Thalmann View Post
    Gem,

......but the Nagaoka/Calumet is made from cherry, not mahogany. The hardware is brass plated ...... If you set the folded Nagaoka next to a folded Wisner, most people would have a hard time believing they are the same format. The folded Nagaoka is that much smaller than than the Wisner.

When I owned mine, the Nagaoka was my backpacking camera and the Wisner was for working closer to the car.

Kerry
    I spent some more time examining the camera today, and you are correct - it is cherry wood.

I am amazed at how light and small it is, I can see why it was your backpacking camera. It certainly is smaller and lighter than any 4x5 folding-type field camera I have handled.

I was also pleasantly suprised to find that Polaroid 550 holder fits easily under the springback.

I tried the camera today with a 90mm Angulon and was able to use ample movements.