Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ilex No. 5 warped plastic composite shutter blades

Re: Ilex No. 5 warped plastic composite shutter blades

Seriously, I would give Flutot's camera repair a call.

Toyon,

I can understand your apprehension. I feel it too and that is why I asked the question. I was given the shutter as a project to see if I can get it to run. The disassembly and cleaning of the metal parts of grease and debris. Trying to understanding how the gears work was interesting. At this point, I have assembled and disassembled the shutter twice. There may be spring metal fatigue, but I do not have the expertise to tell at this point. Barring any other details, it is the shutter leaves that cause the shutter to jam.

I will not go excessively with the heat, I will just test it on one leaf. No money spent and a few hours of self-education. If it works, Great, on to the rest of the leaves. If the leaf looks worse, I will yield.

Kirk

Kirk,

it was recommended to put the blade between 2 pieces of thin metal, hold it firmly with tweezers and run it under hot tap water. Don't squeeze too tightly, they will compress and warp out of shape.

I would think that you could fabricate a new blade from some of the same material used on modern Fidelity/Lisco film holder dark slides. It is quite thin, compared to older dark slides, and light.

Hi Paul,

That sounds interesting, I may try that first.
    The second may be wooden board, leaf, then paper, which I will iron on very low heat. Then ensure it is flat with a book until it cools.

Hi Gene,

The leaves I have are 0.008". I have checked the thickness of the dark slides, they are around 0.019-0.024" [depending on the brand] for the ones I have sitting around and it will be too thick. I love Digital Caliphers. I randomly measure stuff for no reason.

Kirk

i boil/heat some water on an electric stove in a pot. i turn off the heat. let it sit for a few minutes.moment.

i just set the object onto the counter and put the pot on it. works in a flash. i use it on my packard shutter leaves all the time.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Thank you everyone for their input. So here is the update. I attempted to straighten the leaves last night. I started with a hairdryer to try and warm the leaves before trying to flatten it. It did not seem like the best idea, there was no way to control any curl if there was any.

I eventually did this, I took two flat metal sheets and placed the leaf between them. took 5 clothes clips and held the sheets flat. Then boiled water and poured it on the sheets. cooled it quickly with cold water and dried the leaves. worked well enough to straighten them out. I have assembled the shutter again, everything is running for smoothly except for the (T)ime speed, I may have just put a washer in the wrong place.

Thank you again for all the help.

Kirk

I wonder how long the fix will work. I measured over the weekend, old warped blade .009, new blade from SK Grimes .010 http://www.skgrimes.com/index.htm#nav. Dark slides .030-.031. Grimes doesn't list the blades on his website, call him.