Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: lightweight quick change ballhead wanted

lightweight quick change ballhead wanted

How does one go about "Flouncing around"?

Anthony, thanks for reminding me. It's amazing how easy I tend to forget! I full y agree on me being sublimely stupid, but despite what you say, I find the hex plates are not that bad. I have used them for over ten years and preferred to fit a Manfrotto mount over my Linhof Pro III ball head instead of the original Linhof quick mount that I found really too difficult to use and too flimsy. When you have a heavy, large camera in your hands, there is no quick mount as easy to fit in as the Manfrotto. I agree, there were some f laws, in particular if you were not cautious you could think the camera was clamped when in fact it was not prop erly seated. But this and the risk of unwanted release has been corrected in the new generation and they are n early 100% safe now. As for the vertical reflex and rotating plate, Manfrotto has a serie of special plates, one with a L shaped positionable slider that won't allow the camera to move from it's setting. I use one with my Nikon and it 's great, even with heavy lenses. Now, if you want to make yourself a pleasure and spend more money, or ge t some sort of exotic design, go for it! There are better systems I'm sure. As for the MA 168, you are right, certainly not the dayly workhorse for a serious large format photographer. But as a spare or for t he lighter hiking tripod, I think it is fine. In fact I am looking to replace mine right now (after ten years of hiking it has developped some play and I want the new safety release). Although I could spend a little more if I wanted, I will certainly go for the same. Stupid, I know...

Doesn`t anyone else use the latest Hasselblad quick release? I`ve been using one mounted to a Linhof ball head for several years now and it works very well indeed with a Horseman FA. Haven`t tried this combination with the 5X7, but I imagine it`s a little too light...

Lee Frost,one of the best landscape photographers around IMHO,uses the manfrotto hex system with his p67-it is excellent but the only caveat is that it is heavier than other q-r systems.