Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NuArc 26-1K

NuArc 26-1K

Greetings all,

I got a chance to pick up a 26-1k from a local press shop. I am just about to start my pt/pd printing process, and have been looking for a uv box and quality contact frame for several days... Now, here comes the questions:

1. is this NcuArc thing is the ideal stuff for the pt/pd printing(up to 20x24)? I mean this to me is the all-in-one gear, I got vacuum frame and uv box built in, all I need the chemicals and paper, etc..

2. I fired it up today and find out the light bulb seems dim to me, as I always been told the contact frame should always be within 2-3 in under the uv light source, but there is about 16in from the bulb to the thick glass surface on my 26-1k.

Also the pump guage seems not moving up even I turn the thing on for 1 min, I guess there must be a leaking somewhere..

is there anywhere Ican get an operational menual?

Cheers

Andrew

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: NuArc 26-1K

Andrew I have been having trouble with my 26 1KS for a while. I spoke to the tech at M&R companies. They handle the NuArc line. You need to make sure you have a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the unit. Take the top off and make sure everything inside is tight and nothing has come loose in the move. Make sure there is nothing that has been disconnected. Check to see that the light integrator eye is pointing at the bulb. Don't worry about getting shocked by touching anything in the top of the unit, I didn't! I'm no expert so still be careful I can't guarantee that you won't.
    To give you an exposure example I have a 450 watt mercury vapor bulb that gives me 1 hour exposures bout 10 inches from my vacuum frame and the NuArc gives me 12 minutes. This is for carbon transfer. I think you will be surprised by the power of these things. You unit needs time to warm up and as I understand it this is one of the differences between the 1k and the 1KS. Check the seals around the frame and the tube for leaks on the vacuum. Is there a bleeder valve on the front of the unit? If so make sure it is closed. If you need help you can call Israel in tech services at 1-800 736-6431. He was of great help to me.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Fitzgerald; 14-May-2009 at 12:00. Reason: more info

Andrew,
    The gauge on my Nuarc doesn't move either but the vacuum frame works fine. I have never had issues with registration and usually let the vacuum run for a minute before exposing. If you watch the vacuum pad do you see it raise towards the glass?

Jim,
    thank for the tips. I will rip it apart this weekend clean it, seal the rubber thing.. see if it works.

photobulley, are you sure its the bed-pad pops up towards the glass? I thought is sucking the glass towards the rubber pad as I found a hole on the upper left corner of the rubber bed... hmm.

Thanks

Andrew

Don Nelson

And if you change bulbs, avoid directly handling -- leaves an oil film that can cause early failure. Wear gloves or use a paper towel, etc, to hold the lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew ren View Post
    photobulley, are you sure its the bed-pad pops up towards the glass? I thought is sucking the glass towards the rubber pad as I found a hole on the upper left corner of the rubber bed... hmm.
    The hole is where air is being sucked out of the sealed area created by the rubber pad and the glass. As the air gets sucked out of the space the rubber bladder will expand to fill the void and move up towards the glass pressing the negative/paper into contact with the glass.

Jeremy said it perfectly.
    My 26-1k was well used when I purchased it, as a result the inside of the bulb looked like it was coated with a black metallic substance. I ordered a new bulb and the difference in brightness and printing times was amazing. Here is a link to a supplier of bulbs. http://www.bulbconnection.com/ViewIt...%2F1/item.html
    Like Jim F my Nuarc has a number of quirks, but she still has some life left.

Quote Originally Posted by Don7x17 View Post
    And if you change bulbs, avoid directly handling -- leaves an oil film that can cause early failure. Wear gloves or use a paper towel, etc, to hold the lamp.
    Don, yes, I will wear my Michael Jackson's leather gloves.

Thanks

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore View Post
    The hole is where air is being sucked out of the sealed area created by the rubber pad and the glass. As the air gets sucked out of the space the rubber bladder will expand to fill the void and move up towards the glass pressing the negative/paper into contact with the glass.

I see.
    ----
    photobulley, Thanks for the link.

BTW, love both yours and Jeremy's work, very nice!

cheers

Andrew

They also carry the Ushio bulb at Freestyle photo: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/500006...te-Burner-Bulb

It's $13 more expensive there, but I like to support Freestyle as they carry a lot of the more esoteric things I like to use.