Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid newbie questions....

Stupid newbie questions....

I just got a Cambo 4x5 complete set with a polaroid back and some really old film. I took it out, shot it, considering the film has been expired for 30 years, not bad. Now I have some really stupid questions I have yet to find answers to:

1) When loading the film into the holders I really can not help but touch it and I remember from bulk loading 35mm ages ago they said never touch it. How big a no-no is touching the film and sliding it into the holder (scratches on the back)?

2) When you remove the dark slide, why does light not enter the slot the slide was in and ruin the film? I would look, but idiot me loaded them all so I can not see if there is a flap or something that closes over the opening, DUH!

3) I have some 30 year old Tri-X that was kept in the fridge constantly until recently (week or so ago), what are the odds it will still have a decent image/any image?

4) I heard that polaroid is no longer making film for the instant back that I have, but fuji does. Does it work pretty much the same? Is there a particular model I need? Any specific film it uses?

5) Those of you who scan your 4x5, do you have it done at a lab? Special scanner? Do you just scan it on a standard flatbed (I seem to remember that not working so well on 35mm negs)? Or do you print first then scan the print on a flatbed?

6) Now that I have film loaded, what do I do with the exposed film when I need to remove it from the holders to make room for new film? Can you get old film boxes from somewhere to store exposed film before shipping it off? (remember, my first 4x5 so the boxes I have, have unexposed film in them and I do not want to mix it up.)

7) Are all 4x5 films notched in the same place? In other words, when I load into the holders, does it always go in the upper right?

Thanks in advance and if this is not in the right area please feel free to move it.

Allan

Re: Stupid newbie questions....

Quote Originally Posted by Flea77 View Post
    1) When loading the film into the holders I really can not help but touch it and I remember from bulk loading 35mm ages ago they said never touch it. How big a no-no is touching the film and sliding it into the holder (scratches on the back)?
    It should be no problem. Make sure you have a clean hand and also try to touch as little as possible. I have been loading 4X5 and 6.5X8.5 film for a while, never see my fingerprint on the negatives

2) When you remove the dark slide, why does light not enter the slot the slide was in and ruin the film? I would look, but idiot me loaded them all so I can not see if there is a flap or something that closes over the opening, DUH!
    There is a light trap to prevent the film exposed to the light when you take the darkslide out. Make sure to take out the darkslide as smooth as possible to minimize the chance of light leak. Some people say avoid strong direct sunlight.

3) I have some 30 year old Tri-X that was kept in the fridge constantly until recently (week or so ago), what are the odds it will still have a decent image/any image?
    No idea, but its should be easy to figure out by shooting some new film along with the old film and see how they compare

4) I heard that polaroid is no longer making film for the instant back that I have, but fuji does. Does it work pretty much the same? Is there a particular model I need? Any specific film it uses?
    Don't know.

5) Those of you who scan your 4x5, do you have it done at a lab? Special scanner? Do you just scan it on a standard flatbed (I seem to remember that not working so well on 35mm negs)? Or do you print first then scan the print on a flatbed?
    Depend on your purpose, for online sharing and small print, a good flatbed is enough, but for serious work, drum scanner is recommended.

6) Now that I have film loaded, what do I do with the exposed film when I need to remove it from the holders to make room for new film? Can you get old film boxes from somewhere to store exposed film before shipping it off? (remember, my first 4x5 so the boxes I have, have unexposed film in them and I do not want to mix it up.)
    I have some film box for 4X5 if you want, you just pay for the shipping. Or you can go to your local store to see if they have any.

7) Are all 4x5 films notched in the same place? In other words, when I load into the holders, does it always go in the upper right?
    Yes

Thanks in advance and if this is not in the right area please feel free to move it.

Allan
    You are welcome

BTW, their no stupid questions, don't be afraid to ask.

The Polaroid thing:

If your holder takes individual Polaroid sheets with a paper sheath then there is no substitute. However, depending on the model holder (545 will work) you can use Fuji Quickloads. These are regular 4x5 film (color or b&w) in a self contained paper holder. Very nice for travellinglight. Expensive but worth it under certain circumstances.

Back to your holder. If your holder accepts Polaroid back film with 10 exposures, you're in luck. Fuji makes instant pack film. holder numbers are 405 or 550.

Come down on the 30th. Bring your stuff & we'll get you sorted out.

Are we having fun yet?

Wayne
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    The Polaroid thing:

If your holder takes individual Polaroid sheets with a paper sheath then there is no substitute. However, depending on the model holder (545 will work) you can use Fuji Quickloads. These are regular 4x5 film (color or b&w) in a self contained paper holder. Very nice for travellinglight. Expensive but worth it under certain circumstances.

Back to your holder. If your holder accepts Polaroid back film with 10 exposures, you're in luck. Fuji makes instant pack film. holder numbers are 405 or 550.

Come down on the 30th. Bring your stuff & we'll get you sorted out.

Are we having fun yet?

Wayne
    I pretty well figured out the holder (single pieces, paper covers) is useless after I run out of what I have so I suppose I am wondering what back I need to be able to do instant fuji film to test exposures?

I will be there on the 30th, assuming you tell me where and when :-)

Yes, I have been having a blast. Had today off so I took the rig to my local park and shot some more 30 year old instant. Still looks like garbage, but great practice! Now I have 12 double sided holders loaded with 30 year old Tri-X and brand new Delta 100 (5 and 7 holders respectively).

Learned something very important too, that box is HEAVY to carry around a park! Ordering a folding hand truck tomorrow morning!

Allan

SF Bay Area 94303

The notch doesn't go in the upper right if you load your holders in the horizontal position.

Widows and Orphans Beware

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Fry View Post
    The notch doesn't go in the upper right if you load your holders in the horizontal position.
    Sure it does, because "upper right hand corner" is an absolute reference to the holder and not relative to the person doing the holding

Claudio Santambrogio

I have no experience with Fuji instant film, but you might want to check out http://www.polapremium.com/ - and furthermore keep an eye on http://www.the-impossible-project.com/

Cool Re: Stupid newbie questions....

I pretty well figured out the holder (single pieces, paper covers) is useless after I run out of what I have so I suppose I am wondering what back I need to be able to do instant fuji film to test exposures?

I will be there on the 30th, assuming you tell me where and when :-)

Yes, I have been having a blast. Had today off so I took the rig to my local park and shot some more 30 year old instant. Still looks like garbage, but great practice! Now I have 12 double sided holders loaded with 30 year old Tri-X and brand new Delta 100 (5 and 7 holders respectively).

Learned something very important too, that box is HEAVY to carry around a park! Ordering a folding hand truck tomorrow morning!

Allan
    Allan,

If the individual sheet holder is a 545 you can use Fuji Quickloads. Don't toss it.

The ULF folks around here (this forum) use jogging strollers to transport their gear. Maybe one of them will pass on a model they like.

As soon as I know what the heck we're doing on the 30th I'll let you know.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    Allan,

If the individual sheet holder is a 545 you can use Fuji Quickloads. Don't toss it.

The ULF folks around here (this forum) use jogging strollers to transport their gear. Maybe one of them will pass on a model they like.

As soon as I know what the heck we're doing on the 30th I'll let you know.
    I will keep the holder, Quickloads sounds interesting, may have to get a few.

I will use a folding hand truck because I can use it for work as well (been wanting an excuse to buy one), that will make it tax deductible :-)

Looking forward to it!

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Wei View Post
    Depend on your purpose, for online sharing and small print, a good flatbed is enough, but for serious work, drum scanner is recommended.
    A little clarification..... When you say a good flatbed is enough for online sharing, are you scanning the negative, or a print from the negative. Online sharing would be the only reason I would want them scanned, otherwise I would just print them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Wei View Post
    I have some film box for 4X5 if you want, you just pay for the shipping. Or you can go to your local store to see if they have any.

You are welcome

BTW, their no stupid questions, don't be afraid to ask.
    I may do that, let me see what happens. Thanks for your answers!

Allan