Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 traveling questions

4x5 traveling questions

OK. I'll be leaving for Italy in September and will be in the EU for at least one year. I have a few questions about traveling with my 4x5.

1. What kind of bag should I get? I have been thinking about a Domke bag that I can cram everything in:

2. What to bring?
    -Light Meter
    -Field camera
    -lens, possibly 2, ok 2 lens
    -10 or so film holders
    -release cable
    -dark cloth
    -small can of air
    -changing bag
    -loupe

This is a rough list and since I'm not leaving for a bit I'm sure there will be things I need to add. Tripod I'll carry or strap somewhere. This might change the bag itself.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

santo
    Last edited by Santo Roman; 10-May-2009 at 23:29.

Claudio Santambrogio

Re: 4x5 traveling questions

Are you planning to develop "on-the-road", or will you hand film in to labs you'll pick on the way? I definetly would reccomend at least 2 lenses - and film, of course I also always have a loupe with me.

Ahh yes my loupe. That might help a bit. I plan to hand in the film to a lab in Rome. I'll be in the city most of the time. The rest I'll just pack my film and wait till I get back into town.

Can't believe i forgot about the loupe.

santo

do you have a house or will you be traveling the entire time living out of the bag?

i use a backpack style bag for traveling and shooting. i have several. the smallest is an expedition 3 by tamrac....quite small. it swallows my chamoinix 4x5, lens, and 4 holders. so small and light. i also have a larger backpack that houses my 8x10 chamonix or my 8x10 century universal.

if you have a house to base from take more film holders so you can shoot color and B&W or have different ISO films loaded.

depending on how heavy your out going bag is i some times buy a tripod when i arrive and if i am going back i find some one to leave it with when i go home. when i do take one most can be taken apart and packed into luggage.

extra empty boxes. changing tent.

taking a can of air on the plane is not what you want to do. buy it there or leave it out. i never use one.

have fun.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

The tripod you probably won't be able to carry on the plane, it could be used as a club. If you strap it to your luggage, duct tape it on REAL GOOD in addition to strapping, as luggage systems can easily work loose a couple small straps. You should probably not fly with the can of air too. compressed gasses are usually ground shipment.

I would consider a large backpack as your main piece of luggage. Then a smaller pack or bag that all your camera gear you would need for a day could fit into. This smaller bag should be able to fit into the larger main pack.

I traveled in Costa Rica (but only for 3.5 weeks) with a 4x5, taking public buses. In the main pack I used the lower compartment (meant for a sleeping bag) for all my clothes. My tripod and camera pack fit into the main compartment of the top-loading pack. While the main pack was large, it did not scream out "Expensive camera gear inside!". Plus I only had the one piece of luggage to deal with.

The camera pack was carry-on for the flights and the pod stayed inside the main pack. Over-all, I found it to be a good system.

Don't forget some type of notebook (I like the yellow Rite-in-the-Rain surveyors notebooks -- water proof and meant to be used with pencils) to keep track of your photographing.

Vaughn

Hey Vaughn, I traveled with a 4x5 on a bus across Costa Rica. Luckily my case was sturdy enough to sit on because there were no seats available when I got on and I had to sit in back next to a pig and use my case as the seat.
    Dennis

Here's what I use to organize myself before a trip:

Packing List
    Camera
    Lens(es)
    Lensboards
    Lens tool
    Filters
    Filter adapters (round, Tiffen)
    Filter pouch
    Tripod
    Tripod head
    Tripod quickreleases
    Tripod bag
    Light Meter
    Flash
    Batteries (flash, meter, flashlight)
    Cable releases
    Cleaning cloth
    Magnifier
    Magnifying glasses
    Dark cloth
    Film
    Readyloader
    Film bag
    Leadlined film pouches
    Sheet film tracking sheet
    Info sheet
    Writing pen
    Tools
    Flashlight
    Back-up camera and lenses
    US-to-<X> AC plug adapters

I don't always take all this, but it's a pretty good superset list (I reduced it of medium and DSLR items).

As for bags, I would recommend you go to a camera store and try out a few dozen. Comfort is key, and only you can answer that. I love my LowePro backpack (don't know the model) but it's about the size of a day pack (book bag). Not appropriate for lots of filmholders, but they do have larger sizes.

Regards, Bruce

I've carried a tripod strapped to the outside of my backpack several times over the past few years. Foreign and domestic. On one backpack which is not made for cameras I stick the legs in the side mesh pouch meant for a water bottle and then wrap the upper side strap around it before snugging same. I've never had trouble at security. Now, those dangerous large format film holders and film boxes usually raise some questions.

I prefer the non photo backpacks also as they don't give away what is inside. So many people with video carry tripods that they are not unusual either.

Hank

Take a look at all of the screws etc on your camera and other gear- finding various sized small allen wrenches etc... is no fun when on location. Air travel rattled a few things loose on my ARCA on a South American trip last year and finding one particular size of a small allen wrench to tighten some screws proved to be very difficult- a fix it kit is highly recommended.