Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10x8 camera advice

Re: 10x8 camera advice

If you are primarily going to do portraiture and environmental portraiture...close to your car, you can't beat the convenience of a monorail, such as those made by Sinar and Arca and others. They are easier to set adjustments, they are modular so you can use long rails for long lenses, and short rails for short lenses, and many have geared movements that are solid and stay put. I do a lot of "far from the car" stuff, and for that I use folding field cameras, but that is because I have to haul the stuff a distance.

Thanks a million for the advice everyone !
    I'm curious about the monorail option .. I'll definitely be using it pretty close to my car most if not all of the time... Would anyone know what I should expect to pay for a good quality monorail set up for 10x8 ? Or any particular recommendations for makes / models ? I'm looking to invest in this long term so would prefer to get the best setup now rather than upgrade again later.
    Thanks again !
    Eamonn

Yes get a Sinar P or P2 then you have the most versatile tool at hand and you can also use very old lenses for portraits without shutter und using the Sinar behind the lens shutter.

Cheers Armin

How would a Sinar Norma compare with the P or P2 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eamonn Doyle View Post
    I'm curious about the monorail option .. I'll definitely be using it pretty close to my car most if not all of the time... Would anyone know what I should expect to pay for a good quality monorail set up for 10x8 ? Or any particular recommendations for makes / models ? I'm looking to invest in this long term so would prefer to get the best setup now rather than upgrade again later.
    A major decision is whether to go with a studio monorail (which will generally be rock solid, very heavy, and relatively inexpensive on the used market) or a field monorail (lighter, slightly less stable but still quite rigid, relatively expensive even on the used market since most amateurs favor field cameras).

Among studio monorails, I can't imagine a more stable camera than the Toyo G 8x10. A bomb could go off next to this camera and it wouldn't move. It weighs a ton, requires a large case for transport, and you definitely won't want to carry it far from the car. I'm not sure what they go for these days, but if you check recent Ebay transactions you should be able to get an idea. Sinar and Calumet also made popular studio monorails. The Arca Swiss Monolith is also an excellent studio camera, but is rarely available used and is expensive new.

To my knowledge, the most popular field monorail still in production is the Arca Swiss. A current Arca Swiss catalog and pricelist is posted at http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/Media/pdf_logo.gif and http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/...riceList08.pdf. Arca parts are available fairly regularly on the used market, although 8x10 cameras and conversion kits are relatively rare and pricey. The Sinar F/F2 and the discontinued Sinar Norma can also be used for field applications and have their devotees.

I chose an Arca F-Classic 8x10 because I wanted a camera still in production (so spare parts would not be an issue) and due to its relatively light weight, fast setup and "relative compactness". Also, the third party camera backpack supplier Photobackpacker (www.photobackpacker.com) sells a fine backpack with internal cases that accommodate the Arca 8x10 nearly perfectly (see attached photo). I can fit the Arca camera, monorails, four large 8x10 lenses, four film holders, and various accessories without problem for a total weight of 30-35 pounds. I don't take the 8x10 on long hikes, but for short ones I'm been very happy with my Arca+Photobackpacker solution. I'm sure the Photobackpacker adapts to other 8x10 monorail makes as well.

A downside to Arca is that it is an idiosyncratic company and can be difficult to deal with (no web site, occasional product delays, etc.). In the U.S. the dealer with the largest Arca inventory is Photomark (Rod Klukas) in Phoenix; Rod is very knowledgeable about the Arca product line, and also has a fairly large used inventory.

An 8x10 (or 10x8) Sinar Norma is a wonderful option for shooting when weight/bulk are not the overwhelming concern. Of course all of the modern metal 8x10 monorails are going to be pretty nice -- Cambos, Toyos, Sinars, Arcas, etc. -- and they cost a fraction of the price of the pretty wooden flimsy-floppsy cameras (Robert's non-folding Ebony being the exception). A Sinar P/P2 is even heavier than most, but silky geared movements are awfully nice.

Makes you wonder, ehh?

I've had the older Arca and the Sinar Norma, plus an odd Fatif (not bad at all), a Cambo, a C-1, and a couple of woodies in 8x10. The Sinar and Arcas are the best.

Hi
    I had the Ebony RW810 and used it extensively for portraiture with a 300mm lens...It is very solid, easy to use, easy to close-up and a joy...if weight is not a problem then why not a good used Deardorff.....I prefer the field style cameras for portraits, easy to use, set up and fold down and transport....

I agree with Robert that a nice condition Deardorff would be excellent. I have a rare transition model that I purchased around 1972 and was able to update to the swing front standard. It was well used when I bought it and I've put thirty plus years additional of hard commercial use on it and its still a tight and fully functional camera that I now use for my personal fun photography. A Deardorff is all you would need.

I also have two Sinar Norma cameras that I've put through the paces forty years. One is 4x5 and the other 5x7. I wouldn't trade them for a new P. They are superb and have held up exceptionally well.

In the past couple of years I bought an Ebony SV45TE that I feel is the finest wood camera I have ever used. As good as the Deardorff is it has its limitations but Ebony has taken the design to a point of near perfection.

Thanks for the advice everyone !
    Well.. I decided to go for a 10x8 Sinar Norma [got one on ebay last night for £505 .. hope that's an OK price !?
    My friend is about to buy either a Deardorff or Ebony.... so we'll be battling it out between the Wood and Monorail !
    Thanks again
    Eamonn