Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scanning 4x5 with Imacon 646 - disappointed..

Scanning 4x5 with Imacon 646 - disappointed..

Hi,

My first post here. I hope some of you guys can comment on this.

Have I done something wrong or is this as expected? Fujifilm Pro 160S scanned at 2040ppi using the canned Pro 160 profile that comes with Flex Color. Take a look at the transitions from shadow (just below her hair) to the lighter skin tones on her forehead. Looks horrible to me. Is this a property of the film or is caused by the scanning process? Any comments on how to get smooth transitions? As you can see there is a colour cast, so the profile doesn't seem to do the job - I thought it would be ok to do the rest of the colour editing in Photoshop instead of in the scanner software. Is that a good strategy?

Thanks for your input!

Re: Scanning 4x5 with Imacon 646 - disappointed..

What do you have the sharpening set to? The Imacon's aggressive sharpening can cause noise in shadow areas from my experience.

Thanks for your quick reply, Jeremy. The sharpening was set to 100 (I understand that 1000 is max).

100 is still aggressive sharpening. No sharpening requires a value of -120 (minus).

Gilbert Plantinga

Yes, 100 is way too much sharpening! Counterintuitively, to turn the sharpening off altogether you leave it checked on and set the amount at -120 (the range goes down to -200 which will actually soften the image). I shoot Portra 160 NC and usually set the sharpening to somewhere between -60 and 0; it depends on the image.

Regarding the color cast, the Imacon negative setups (they are not profiles per se) don't work very well, but you can make your own very easily. A good method is here:

http://www.michaelfoxphoto.com/Resou...neg_setup.html

Hope this helps,

For some reason, Imacon scanner software will sharpen the image until a setting of -120 is used. I read an article by John Paul Caponigro (online about 5 years ago) that gave this piece of information and it works well.

Wow thanks a lot for your input! I will definitely keep this in mind next time.

JGP, thanks for the link, I will have a look at it!

I have been shooting with digital over the last 6-7 years so another factor might be that I am so used to looking at "clean" digital files.. anyway I thought 4x5 should produce very smooth images packed with detail and little grain. But I guess I am seeing bad sharpening and not grain here?

Thanks for the michaelfoxphoto link, Gilbert.

The negative looks underexposed. Underexposed negative film scans poorly.

I have to second the underexposure point. Having underexposed Pro S a number of times, having been new to C41 and processing, I can also second that it scans like garbage when underexposed. Wish I had and imacon though, would be a nice addition to my bidness =)