Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tray Development

Re: Tray Development

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hull View Post
    Thanks for the answers. CG-the aggressive agitation is recommended by some folks, seems to work for me. 3-4 complete inversions in 5 seconds.. Dennis-thanks for the tip, it makes a lot of sense to me.
    That doesn't sound so aggressive. I thought you were speaking of hard continuous agitation from start to finish or something like that.

Anyone help me on the safelight bulb color and wattage for sight development?

Octogenarian

Terry,

There is an article on the www.michaelandpaula.com website that explains in detail how to develop film by inspection.

I suggest that you read it before wasting any film.

Thanks for the tip on the trays! It is years since I worked with trays, and some years since I developed anything... But now I am planning a trip through Europe, and would love to do 4X5 developing as I go along. Probably glass trays will be the easiest for me to clean and work with - as I will have a real challenge when it comes to dust and also stray lightning I guess...

Any tips on traveling and developing in trays?

For packing and traveling I would think that plastic photo trays would be the most practical due to weight and bulk.

I have had good luck using motel bathrooms as darkrooms for changing film. There is usually no window in a motel bathroom. They usually provide a small ironing board that you can take into the bathroom for a work table. Use your dark cloth and some towels to stop the door from letting in light, a roll of tape is helpful. Shut the drapes in the room first. If you are going to process film that way on the ironing board it might be a good idea to carry a piece of plastic along with you. A roll of wire and some alligator clips to string on it and some duct tape to tape it up in the shower for drying. Don't forget film sleeves.

Tray Development on the Road

My traveling 4x5 tray-development kit:

~Five 5x7 trays (I like the deep Paterson trays)
    ~Small bottles of developer (PMK, so 2 bottles there), stop, fix and wetting agent.
    ~One 500ml graduate, one 50ml graduate, two syringes in 10 and 20 ml size.
    ~One small darkroom thermometer, plastic and supposedly unbreakable.
    ~One generic sink stopper
    ~A homemade washer that holds 10 sheets (plastic container with bamboo skewer dividers and holes drilled in the bottom corners; it sits in the sink, water flows in at the top)
    ~A bag of wooden clothespins along with 10 feet or so of fishing line to hang them from
    ~Negative sleeves and binder
    ~A couple of cotton dishtowels

All this fits in a 12-inch cubic cardboard box.

Processing is like this:
    ~Darkproof the hotel bathroom (usually towels under the door, but on occasion I've hung a sleeping bag over the outside of the door; I try to find a hotel bathroom with no windows).
    ~Run the shower a while to kill dust.
    ~Fill sink with tempered water (here's where the stopper and the thermometer come in).
    ~Mix stop and fix and put in trays (I rinse the graduates between solutions in the tub).
    ~Fill pre-soak tray and then mix developer (I usually use the sink counter and a chair, but the ironing board seems like a good trick too).
    ~Lay out the filmholders for unloading (if not already unloaded and in boxes).
    ~Mix developer (syringes used for measuring here), fill developer tray and give the graduates a final rinse.
    ~Turn out lights and go; development as usual. Chemicals are disposed of down the drain (I try to use dilute fix one-shot, so at this low volume, don't worry about dumping it).

When finished fixing, I transfer the negatives to the sink for a quick rinse then to tray 5 for holding. I usually try to develop batches that add up to 10 or fewer negatives and then transfer them to the homemade (10 neg capacity) washer. This sits in the sink with water running in the top, exiting through the holes in the bottom and then out the sink overflow. Rate and temperature of the wash water are critical and take some monitoring usually.

After washing, the negs go into the wetting agent (I usually pick up some distilled water for this step at a local supermarket) and are hung from the clothespins which are strung on the fishing line between something (shower head and curtain rod, or two opposing towel racks or some improvised set up, e.g., thumbtacks in the side of the door frame, etc.)

I can string up about 20 negs, i.e., two batches. If I process in the evening, the negs are dry the next morning. They then go into plastic sleeves and into the binder. Everything is dried and packed for the next time.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Doremus Scudder

I use 5x7 trays for 4x5 and constant shuffle, from bottom to top. Get a tray with raised grooves on the bottom so you can get your fingers underneath the film in order to shuffle. Get a kodak like safe light - best find it on the web, like ebay. this would work. It uses a 'christmas tree like bulb' ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Prinz-model-559-Dark-Room-Safe-Light_W0QQitemZ180355449858QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item29fe05c402&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:570|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

Re: Tray Development on the Road

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    My traveling 4x5 tray-development kit:

~Five 5x7 trays (I like the deep Paterson trays)
    ~Small bottles of developer (PMK, so 2 bottles there), stop, fix and wetting agent.
    ~One 500ml graduate, one 50ml graduate, two syringes in 10 and 20 ml size.
    ~One small darkroom thermometer, plastic and supposedly unbreakable.
    ~One generic sink stopper
    ~A homemade washer that holds 10 sheets (plastic container with bamboo skewer dividers and holes drilled in the bottom corners; it sits in the sink, water flows in at the top)
    ~A bag of wooden clothespins along with 10 feet or so of fishing line to hang them from
    ~Negative sleeves and binder
    ~A couple of cotton dishtowels

All this fits in a 12-inch cubic cardboard box.

Processing is like this:
    ~Darkproof the hotel bathroom (usually towels under the door, but on occasion I've hung a sleeping bag over the outside of the door; I try to find a hotel bathroom with no windows).
    ~Run the shower a while to kill dust.
    ~Fill sink with tempered water (here's where the stopper and the thermometer come in).
    ~Mix stop and fix and put in trays (I rinse the graduates between solutions in the tub).
    ~Fill pre-soak tray and then mix developer (I usually use the sink counter and a chair, but the ironing board seems like a good trick too).
    ~Lay out the filmholders for unloading (if not already unloaded and in boxes).
    ~Mix developer (syringes used for measuring here), fill developer tray and give the graduates a final rinse.
    ~Turn out lights and go; development as usual. Chemicals are disposed of down the drain (I try to use dilute fix one-shot, so at this low volume, don't worry about dumping it).

When finished fixing, I transfer the negatives to the sink for a quick rinse then to tray 5 for holding. I usually try to develop batches that add up to 10 or fewer negatives and then transfer them to the homemade (10 neg capacity) washer. This sits in the sink with water running in the top, exiting through the holes in the bottom and then out the sink overflow. Rate and temperature of the wash water are critical and take some monitoring usually.

After washing, the negs go into the wetting agent (I usually pick up some distilled water for this step at a local supermarket) and are hung from the clothespins which are strung on the fishing line between something (shower head and curtain rod, or two opposing towel racks or some improvised set up, e.g., thumbtacks in the side of the door frame, etc.)

I can string up about 20 negs, i.e., two batches. If I process in the evening, the negs are dry the next morning. They then go into plastic sleeves and into the binder. Everything is dried and packed for the next time.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Doremus Scudder
    Sounds like a good system for the road.

Doremus, your work is stunning! Bravo!

Best,
    Merg

Merg,

Thank you for the compliment, and allow me to return it. Your work is stunning and an inspiration.

Now that I've completed my nearly seven-year stint commuting between my teaching jobs in Europe and my doctoral work and university teaching in Oregon, I'll be spending al lot more time printing a backlog of negatives and shooting more, as well as doing more marketing. Time to get the portfolios ready!

Best,

Doremus Scudder

Quote Originally Posted by LF-Oslo View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the trays! It is years since I worked with trays, and some years since I developed anything... But now I am planning a trip through Europe, and would love to do 4X5 developing as I go along. Probably glass trays will be the easiest for me to clean and work with - as I will have a real challenge when it comes to dust and also stray lightning I guess...

Any tips on traveling and developing in trays?
    I'd suggest not using glass trays. Paterson and other similar plastic trays are inexpensive, don't break, and usually have recessed areas running the length of the bottom that help prevent a sheet of film from sticking to the tray (or at least make it easier to lift the film off the bottom if it does stick). Getting a sheet of film that's stuck to the bottom of a flat-bottomed tray can be difficult and possibly damaging to the film.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.