Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Color photography with black and white film

Re: Color photography with black and white film

This has fascinated me for a long time, I was learning Photoshop at the same time I was doing a lot of gum-printing, mid '90s, and it just made sense. One of the first things I did in the computer lab at Mass College of Art (where I was working) was to use the B+W "eyeball" quick-cam and shoot through sep-filters and combine in PS. (PS3)
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Here is my first attempt in tricolor work. T-max 400 using a 6x9 rollfilm holder and 25, 58, 47 filters.
    It is of a walrus skull taken on Svalbard earlier this summer. This was great fun and I am happy with the result. And the subject haven´t moved in 400 years so that did not cause any problems at all.

Best regards,
    Eirik Berger

Quote Originally Posted by Eirik Berger View Post
    Here is my first attempt in tricolor work. T-max 400 using a 6x9 rollfilm holder and 25, 58, 47 filters.
    It is of a walrus skull taken on Svalbard earlier this summer. This was great fun and I am happy with the result. And the subject haven´t moved in 400 years so that did not cause any problems at all.
    I love the tiny little flowers in the lichen. Beautiful shot.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

One of the historical reasons for shooting color separations was to achieve archivability of color images. Color film is notorious for color fade, whereas b+w film lasts as long as the base holds together.

I'm sure all those Photoshop files we generate nowadays will be readable in 100 years (just try reading any of your 20 year old files from disk today), but if you wanna have a backup with good color, separations will work long after the last OS X machine has turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hughes View Post
    One of the historical reasons for shooting color separations was to achieve archivability of color images. Color film is notorious for color fade, whereas b+w film lasts as long as the base holds together.

I'm sure all those Photoshop files we generate nowadays will be readable in 100 years (just try reading any of your 20 year old files from disk today), but if you wanna have a backup with good color, separations will work long after the last OS X machine has turned off.
    The historical reason for shooting color separations was to have color.

If you look at the work of Sergey Prokhudin-Gorsky, you will notice that most of his tri-color work was done during the first decade of the 20th century.

As for computer file readability, it all depends on the knowledge and skill of the operator. The GIGO concept applies there with a vengeance, just like in all other human endeavors.

Beautiful! I'd love to see a print of this some day ...

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    The historical reason for shooting color separations was to have color.
    Of course the original reason was to have color. I'm referring to the efforts of the movie and still film industries in the mid and late 20th Century to preserve old 2- and 3-color films by making color separations of prints before they faded (original, mid-century Agfa and Eastman color prints are often unwatchable, having turned turned to a hideous orange hue).

Beautiful Saxifrages there, Eirik - I suppose Saxifraga groenlandica?

[QUOTE=Eirik Berger;505596]Here is my first attempt in tricolor work. T-max 400 using a 6x9 rollfilm holder and 25, 58, 47 filters.

Eirik,

Great work.

What was your exposure time for the shots with the R, G and B filters? And how closely balanced were the separations after development?

I am also thinking of doing some separation work with a 6X9 camera so your technical notes would be appreciated.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    What was your exposure time for the shots with the R, G and B filters? And how closely balanced were the separations after development?
    The usual compensations I make are 3 stops for the red and green and 4 stops for the blue. I find, using Ilford Delta 100, the negs scan and combine very easily.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG