Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinar or not Sinar...

Sinar or not Sinar...

I've received different opinions about the Sinar F, and since I'm going to have only one large format camera (for studio and for field use). I need some feedbac k on this camera. I've been investigating about other models, but the Sinar seem s to be a very rugged and versatile camera. Of course I'll need a good stock of lenses and accesories. Although there are many other choices, I find it quite go od for my needs. I'll be doing architectural photography, lots of perspective co rrection, extensive work with depth of field. Now I'm shooting 35mm and medium f ormat(6x6, 6x4.5 and 6x7), and for architectural, I use computer software (prior image scanning)for perspective correction. I also will be doing portrait, still photo and maybe product shooting. I need the good opinions and the bad opinions , so feel free to take time and write as long as you wish. Thanks

Sinar or not Sinar...

I have had my Sinar F2 for a little over four years, it supliments an Anniversary Speed Graphic which I have for over 25 years. I find myself going between the two, the Sinar is nice in that I have a full range of movement, the binocular focusing hood is fantastic, I have film plane metering thru the ProfiSelect wand and a Gossen UltraPro, and I have enough extension to go greater the 1:1 when doing macro, in my little home studio the camera cannot be beat. However when it comes to hiking or bicycling I find myself remounting the lenses on Speed Graphic boards and throwing my old faithfull in my backpack. If I am planning to go downtown to do some serious architectural work then the Sinar is a must, if on the other hand I am just out and about the Speed Graphic is much quicker to set up and shoot.

Another plus to the Sinar is if you buy a good used unit you will be able to resell it for what you paid, if not more. The downside is that the accessories for this camera are expensive! As I do less and less studio work I have been really tempted to sell off all the Sinar gear and pick up a nice light wood camera, but I know as I did I would miss the flexability of the Sinar.

JMHO, -harry

Sinar or not Sinar...

Have you considered Arca Swiss? I've had the opportunity to use Sinar and Arca, and for the studio both are excellent. However, in the field the Arca had the edge. It can be broken down rather easily to fit in a backpack and is as rugged, if not more than the Sinar. Price is about the same for both (accessories as well). Sinar may have a few more accessories (such as the metering mentioned above), but Arca's line is extensive. I shoot Architecture and Landscape and have found the Arca not lacking in any way. As you can probably guess, I opted for the Arca Swiss.

Good luck on your choice, Gary

Sinar or not Sinar...

How about a TK45s? I have a TK45, the previous model and I love it, I have all the movements I want for both architectural and 1:1 and it has a good range of accessories. I have never used a Sinar, and no doubt it is a superb camera, but for field work it seems to me it is too heavy and cumbersome. Wait until you are under a focusing cloth in 95 degree heat, you will want fast quick focusing none of that micro focusing and film plane metering, etc. Don't take me wrong I am sure for the studio a Sinar would be an excellent desicion, but for a compromise between studio and field work, the TK I think is better. Good luck and let us know what you got!

Sinar or not Sinar...

Sinar=sucks

Get an Arca-Swiss Discovery.

Well Sinar doesn't actually suck I suppose. But the difference for me between the two is enough to make it seem that way.

Sinar or not Sinar...

I shoot Sinar for a couple of years. I've also worked with the Arca Swiss Discovery and the F-metric. Arca Swiss is another excellent Swiss camera but Sinar is still superior. Especially when used in the Studio and for Architecture work. What counts most however, is the excellent Sinar Service that you get in Europe as well as in the US. Arca's Service has become a pain in the ass since its production has moved from Switzerland to France. You might grow old before important accessories of the camera are delivered.

Sinar or not Sinar...

Sinar. It's like Nikon or Hassy. You can always find a lot of them used. I use F2 in studio and fild. Frankly, it's not perfect for both. In studio, when doing makro 2:1 it's not rigid and precise like P2, but... I got sharp chromes. In fild, carry you camera with 6" rail in backpack and rail clamp attached to tripod. Setup takes 30 sec. Anyway this camera is good compromise for studio&fild and get Horseman bag bellows.

Sinar or not Sinar...

when i'm using a technika V, i'm very happy with it ! (unless i want to use rol lfilm, it's better to have a new tech 2000 or master) when i'm using a sinar F2, i'm very happy with it ! unless i have to walk or tr avel with it !

in my opinion, if money is not a concern, i would suggest to buy an arca swiss 6 x9 metric and an extra 4x5 back and a selection of top class light weight lens that can be use in both format (schneider 80XL / schneid er 110XL / rodenstock apo sironar S 150 / FUJI A 9/240 or rodenstock apo ronar MC 9/300 or nikon M300. Then you will be able to h ave a light weight 6x9 camera with a lot of movements for field work and travel, and a good 4x5 camera for studio that can u se polaroid standard back 545i, quickload...

the f2 is a good value for money, but not easy to travel and walk with it, i'm u sing a technika it's a perfect tool for 4x5 field work, but limited for the studio, i'm dreaming about this arca combo, but it's quite e xpensive, at the end i prefer spending my money by shooting in 4x5, than buying an another camera...

Sinar or not Sinar...

Paul,

If you are not committed to the Sinar yet, then avoid it.

I have spent a fortune over the years switching from F2 to P2 and back ? the moment you want to travel out door without an army of assistants the Sinar becomes a bulky and awkward burden.

Sure, the two-point focussing kinda works, as does the DOF scale ... but the chore of getting those features to where your shot is.

Someone mentioned the Bino-Reflex ? great ... high and low level shooting convenience just as long as you don't want to work at eye-level.

The rigidity of the F2 leaves a lot to be desired unless you get the beefed-up 5x7 standardsand use a reduction back. Added to the camera's rigidity problems is the fact that the centre-of-gravity is so high over the tripod mount that you have to use a bigger tripod and/or head to secure it. Plus the difficulty of GG viewing if you're shooting down over a precipice or up into a ceiling.

The Arca is good, and like the Sinar, allows unlimited expansion of the rail/bellows with accessories ... IF you need it. But my choice is the Linhof TK45s. Portable, precise and a total joy to use either indoors or out. A lot of my interiors work is done on a Gitzo Mountaineer with Foba Super Mini-Ball head.

Yaw-free?? Not in all situations ... but that doesn't adversely affect my commercial architecture, auto-motive or personal landscape work. The fixed extension rail allows me to shoot with Nikkor-T 600mm and Nikkor-M 450mm so how much more expandability does one need?

Parts are readily available, service is good in UK & USA (Bob??) and many other countires.

Am I bisaed? Probably! But that bias is based on 6 or 7 years of Sinar slavery.

Good luck and please let us know your final choice.

WG

Sinar or not Sinar...

I had a Sinar F and hated it. The most egregious fault is that you can't cross your eyes w/o running into very major expense -- extension rails, bag bellows, multipurpose stands, etc. etc., and it never ends. Also, it's real heavy. I don't think the Sinar is well-suited to field work at all. The good points are the movements, the solidity, the built-in depth scales, etc.... I've been using a wooden field since getting rid of the Sinar, to wit a Korona 5x7 -- a good example of "wooden field camera" but nothing outrageous (e.g., a brand new Canham or whatever). I love it. I find the typical limitations of this type of camera very easy to live with (more wiggly, for example). -jeff buckels (albuquerque)