Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chamonix 45n-1 versus Sinar F2 ...

Re: Chamonix 45n-1 versus Sinar F2 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I think you need to go back to square one and decide whether you want a studio camera or a field camera. Then start looking within those categories.
    I'm still at square one

I've got both a Sinar F2 and a Tachihara and they're both great. Bjorn is right about how easy it is to learn and use an F2. Incredibly easy. BUT it's heavy. I've taken my F2 on a 3 mile hike with 2 lenses and about 5 filmholders, and probably won't do that again, but the camera is like owning a Mercedes Benz. It requires that your tripod be more sturdy for the weight, so there's that added expense.

The Tachihara (similar weight to the Chamonix) is usable with my lighter tripod and a ball head, but has less movements and requires more thought about movements. This is one I could take on a good hike.

If you're going to require more movements (studio work, architectural work) then the Sinar is a good bet. If you're gonna' hike a lot, go off trail, etc., then the Chamonix is a better bet. The difference in the weight of the equipment is significant on your back.

Just pick one. Both are great cameras. If you're mainly shooting from the car, get the Sinar. If you're going to be hiking any distance, get the Chamonix.

One advantage of the Sinar is that there's a whole raft of moderately priced accessories, including bag bellows, reflex viewers....
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    Hello there,

Still considering my first LF camera options. And it occurred to me that I'm really buying a system just like any other photographic format.

I thought I'd see what you more experienced LF photographers have to say once again on selecting a first LF camera system.

Up until now, I have been considering the Chamonix 45n-1. But after further readings in Simmons, and Ansel Adams books, as well as posts on this forum and others, I thought I should at least consider a used Sinar F2.

Decisions, Decisions ...
    As you mention Ansel Adams books, I quote directly from The Camera:
    'There is no question a view camera requires some physical stamina. ...I finally resorted to using a pack animal on the trails... .Now when asked what camera I use , I reply "the heaviest one I can carry"'

Get a cheap 4x5 in the classifieds here, use it for a while, then re-sell it in the classifieds and you've gotten an education for very little cost. Then you'll have a real idea about what suits you and will be better off than by taking a poll on a forum, as wise as the people here are . There's nothing like getting your feet wet.
    There was a Crown Graphic for less than $200 the other day, a great intro into lf, for example.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com