Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Italy with large format

Re: Italy with large format

I too got to see some of the less frequented parts of Venice when I was there a few years back. Sprocket format in hand back then, never the less it was interesting to observe the plethora of photographers stamping their individual perspectives on to the old buildings. I couldn't help but notice that for most of them the photo experience seemed to be a marathon of stressful proportions. Fully burdened and at full gate the capture was but a moment in their inventory. Quite bemused I was happy to dawdle along as I do taking mostly dry shots (visionary only) till I found an image that grabbed me and worthy of capture.

Touring the lesser visited parts was aided in no small way by the use of, with the owners permission, my feet. Glad I did for now that mode of transport is no longer so readily available due to bad maintenance over use and poor garaging.

Never the less I wish you all well. It seems a sizable proportion of the forum seem to be there that week. Maybe we could have a Venice section.
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure... Life is either daring adventure or nothing: Helen Keller.

I've spent about 16 months out of the last 24 months here in Italy (in Milano at present). I have seen a lot (Venice included) but the touristy places are not what flips my skirt. I like the old places (off the well beaten path) with constricted streets. (foot traffic only)

The end of June will be see the temps climbing. Really very pleasant here now. Be very aware taking any photograph that may include a child in Italy...not like the US. If you do not travel by automobile and plan to use LF you had better be young (I'm not) strong (in the same vein as age) and possessing a fair modicum of patience.

Claudio Santambrogio

Hah - I am in Milano the second half of this week, and if all's well, I might "hop" over to Venice. When there, I like to explore the less beaten tracks. There are some real jewels to discover - this one being probably one of my all-time favourite places in Venice (small-format shot from about 10 years ago - the place looks just the same today). See you maybe there?

Another thing for those that are coming to Italy. It might pay to see that you have medical insurance coverage that extends to your time here.

I took a spill on my bike four days before I was set to return to the states...long story short I fractured my femur and this injury involved surgery to pin the fracture. Flying back to the states was out of the question. My medical coverage for time out of the country is sixty days and I was about 22 days past that period. Cost to fix me up was nearly $11,000...definitely a bargain compared to the states...it came out of my pocket. I am still recuperating two and a half months later. Medical care here, based on my experience, is quite excellent.

Don Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by csant View Post
    Hah - I am in Milano the second half of this week, and if all's well, I might "hop" over to Venice. When there, I like to explore the less beaten tracks. There are some real jewels to discover - this one being probably one of my all-time favourite places in Venice (small-format shot from about 10 years ago - the place looks just the same today). See you maybe there?

Nice photograph -- that same building was in Rick Steve's travel program on Venice. He called it the boatbuilders shop for the locals.

Quote Originally Posted by Don7x17 View Post
    Nice photograph -- that same building was in Rick Steve's travel program on Venice. He called it the boatbuilders shop for the locals.
    I agree. The spot is unmistakable and not very difficult to find.

Bruce I very much enjoyed browsing through your excellent photos of Northern Italy, especially Venice.

I'm interested to know (or maybe Daniele can advise), since I'm interested in taking my LF gear to Venice next time around (having only had a Mamiya 645 Pro with me on my last trip), did you get any hassle from the carabinieri when you set up and used your tripod as you might do in urban areas in the larger cities of say the UK or US ?

Also, Daniele, is there anywhere in Venice where I could hire a tripod rather than have to fly it out ?
    Last edited by RJC; 19-May-2009 at 14:00. Reason: Additional question

Thank you, RJC, I appreciate the feedback.

No, not only was I not hassled, I can't recall even seeing patrolmen (anywhere). Everyone was very courteous, but I also try to be on my best behavior. I'm very mindful of where I plop the tripod and never in any kind of foot traffic.

Not to change the discussion away from Venice, but has anyone been to Urbino? I'd read about it in passing before going, but we decided to head down there after a strong recommendation from our Venetian hotelier. I'm glad we took his advice - a stunning, immaculately preserved (or restored) medieval hill town that was as charming as it was beautiful. We did not get a chance to see nearby Urbania, but did visit historic San Leo. We also ducked in San Marino, but we were looking for something a little less crowded. The Marche region was beautiful and I'm glad we diverted ourselves.

Regards, Bruce

Claudio Santambrogio

Yes, the Marche have a lot of wonderful places to offer - but then, Italy in general has a lot to offer. Just another heads-up: San Galgano near Siena. Or, going a bit further south, Tuscania with its two churches (featured in the movie The Hawks and the Sparrows, original title Uccellacci e uccellini). And I could go on endlessly...)